Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

does a bbc 454 or 572 fit in a zr1 ?

S

spijker

Hi does a BBC fit a corvette zr1 ? what needs to
be adjusted / changed , or no fit what so ever ?

anyone did it yet ?

Does the gearbox fit ? ( the lt5 6 speed ) ?

Any help welcome !

( have a second zr1 without engine, wanna build a
BBC in for dragracing it )

Spijker
Holland
<!-- / message -->

Buya LT5 and give the beast a original heart. It may not be original, but probably more practical than doing a BB conversion.

Thanks but no

I understand your feelings jeff , but the lt5 is a nice engine ( i have a'91 zr1 also) but its no strip engine WAY TO COMPLEX + Fragile.

A 572 is a better start ( nice and easy Cubics.)

PedleToTheMetal

Spijker

Thanks for reply

Why not sell the ZR-1, buy a similar LT-1 corvette and take the cash and put it toward the new motor? Seems like a waste to start heavily modifying the Z when you'd probably be decreasing its value in the long run.

If you're really interested ...

In the late eighties, Chevy had an engineering project known as the ZR2, or the "Big Doggie". It had a 454. :cool

454c4_bg.jpg

ZR2.jpg
1989 ZR-2 Chevy Corvette Convertible: "Big Doggie"

Our very own Hib Halverson drove it several times and wrote three different magazine pieces about it while the car was still a GM development vehicle. ;)

Thanks but now thanks, have the zr1 without motor for 2500 dollars , so good start for
my project !

Thanks for the respons

Spijker

SPIJKER, the BB will go in a ZR1 the same as it would go in any other C4 Corvette. However, if your talking a drag race car the ZF 6 speed tranny would be a poor choice compaired to an automatic tranny. I believe you also would have issues with the Dana 44 rear end holding up to the torque of a built up big block. Good luck with your project. 84 CF 91 ZR1

A Big-Block will fit the late C4 chassis after some slight modifications are made to the frame and you provide some modification to increase hood clearance.

As for the transmission, you can use the ZF but you must use the L98/LT1/LT4 version rather than the longer, LT5 version. Also, you must use the L98/LT1/LT4 clutch housing rather than the LT5 housing.

The Dana 44 axle is not a reliability/durability problem unless you're going to run sticky tires on a drag strip on a regular basis.

Thanks

Thanks hib

Nice advice , realy helpfull !.

Spijker !

spijker said:
Hi does a BBC fit a corvette zr1 ? what needs to
be adjusted / changed , or no fit what so ever ?

anyone did it yet ?

Does the gearbox fit ? ( the lt5 6 speed ) ?

Any help welcome !

( have a second zr1 without engine, wanna build a
BBC in for dragracing it )

Spijker
Holland
<!-- / message -->
You could give Mr Goldstien a call... Fastlane racing... He may have a 675 hp ( approximaitly ) 368 LT5 motor for sale... or... he could set you up with a whole race car with lots of spare parts... it seems that one of his motors was a 431 cube 900 hp version...
You mentioned "delicate" as it concern the LT5 ? That is news to me...
Good luck...

Maybe I'm not the only one with this knowledge, In 1993 I saw an aftermarket Z28 service manual, in it was a picture of a Z28 with a LT5 in it, looked bad ass. I wonder if any of you have seen this car performing?

Hmmm... A Z28 with an LT5, eh? I've never seen it, and I can't find anything on it at the moment, but I would love to see it. :cool

Do you have any pictures of this second ZR1 you bought?

and I hope your ZR1 is running good now with that new head installed!

johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom