Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does a C6 really make sense to Zo6 owners?

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

While reading an article in Autoweek they compared the Z06 to the new C6 and the Z06 wins hands down by at least a 1/2 second with only approx 5 hp more!

Is it the weight, gearing or just a better engine?

Alan

kingman said:
Hi

While reading an article in Autoweek they compared the Z06 to the new C6 and the Z06 wins hands down by at least a 1/2 second with only approx 5 hp more!

Is it the weight, gearing or just a better engine?

Alan

The C5 Z06 is just a tick better for all the reasons you state. The C6 Z06, with nearly 100 more ponies, will be a horse of a different color. :)

In a performance sense, it may not make sense. But with the removable roof and convertible, I think people may sacrifice the performance for the other desires.

Good points!!!!!!!!!!

That's why l asked the right people!

Alan

There's always the option of a modded C5 Z06 as a cost effective alternative. My 2004, Vortech supercharged with dynoed 532RWHP will keep me happy for a few years in light of the new C6Z06. With a 15% loss for the M6 tranny, that would translate to 633 at the flywheel. The new C6Z06's are probabaly under-rated at 500HP but still.......the zoom I've got for the bucks is keeping me happy!:D For now......

Roger

You should be thrilled!

I really like the C5 body better for the moment and by the way do you have a parachute on the back?

Alan

Hi kingman -

At the risk of reviving a dead thread.....

I don't consider the new car to be a big enough jump forward (even from a standard C5) to justify a trade up just for the performance.

It appears that most dealers are "dealing" on the new C6's, and I would expect that after the first few months of Gen II Z06 production/customer deliveries, you will see a similar situation with the Z06.

It is my current plan to wait until the Gen II Z06 has benn on the market for a year and a half, and then look for a sweet used one.

Of course I might just breathe on my "old school" Z06 instead. It's nice to have options...:D

Is it just me, or should GM have called the new Z06 a Z07? Now we have to say Gen II Z06, or C6 Z06.

I'll get over it...:L

best regards -

mqqn

My neighbor was going to jump into a C6 until some unforseen things came up. He was ready to take the plunge. His words kind of went, "400 horsepower off the showroom floor is no joke, Ed."

He doesn't have a Z06 but he does have an LS6 sitting on an engine stand in his garage. This LS6 also happens to be the weakest engine in his garage!:L

actually, ii shoud be GEN III Z06:

GEN I, was the 1963 SWC Sting Ray Z06
GEN II, the C5 2001 Z06
GEN III C6 2006 Z06

c5vetter said:
actually, ii shoud be GEN III Z06:

GEN I, was the 1963 SWC Sting Ray Z06
GEN II, the C5 2001 Z06
GEN III C6 2006 Z06

Don't forget the GEN II.5, The 2002-2004 Z06 :D

MsSchroder said:
Don't forget the GEN II.5, The 2002-2004 Z06 :D

Hi Ms. S -

See what I mean....:L

It could get as confusing as the Harley model nomenclature...

"Super-Low Hugger-Glide FXRSGTRS Limited Bad-Boy Screamin' Eagle Edition"...;LOL

best regards -

mqqn

Small Blocks

Gen I production started in 1955 and lasted 40 years. Originally designed as carberated with a points distributor. ex. 283, 327, 350, 400.
Other divisions had 260, 300, 326, 330, 350, 400. Olds, Buick and Pontiac.
Some rare odd balls such as the 302 Chevrolet also. I'm positive I am leaving some small blocks out. Just add them to your post if anyone can think of any other GM small blocks.

Gen II's are the LT1 and the LT4 (modified small block)

All Gen III's are the LQ4 (6.0L), LQ9 (6.0L), LR4 (4.8L), LM4 (5.3L), LM7 (5.3L), L59 (5.3L), LS1 and the LS6.

Gen IV production 2005 LS2 etc. We don't have a complete list yet.

The C6 coupe and convertible is more about the vast improvement in refinement etc....and yet it still offers almost identical to C5 Z06 performance...

I don't see the sense in trading in a C5 Z06 for a C6 either...but if my car got stolen or some nonsense...I'd be very happy with the torque monster C6 coupe ...or convertible..

Of course the C6 Z06 will be an insane ride as well.

Progress....GM just keeps making them better and better...

Thats what makes the corvette THE AMERICAN SPORTS CAR ICON....

IMHO...

JBsC5 said:
Progress....GM just keeps making them better and better

That's just the Corvette's!:L:L:L

JBsC5 said:
I don't see the sense in trading in a C5 Z06 for a C6 either...but if my car got stolen or some nonsense...I'd be very happy with the torque monster C6 coupe ...or convertible..
I agree JB. I would love a C6 ZO6, but my wife would kick me out of the house if I spent 75k and brought that home lol! So I've been modding my Z to keep myself from wanting one too. I can match one for flywheel horse, but that torque is hard to replicate lol!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom