Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Does anyone hear rattles in their C6 Targa tops?

Luiparra

Corvette
2008 Coupe, Crystal Red metallic - 6 Spd P/shift
My 2008 coupe has annoying rattles when car is moving at any speed and turning, going through bumps, etc. I removed the top and noticed that the pins were loose, so I tightened them, dressed them up with a little grease and the rattles went away. However, they came back after a couple of months. Removed the top again, found the pins were nice and tight and redressed the pins with grease (they still had grease from previous application) but this time the rattle has not gone away. Sometimes I think I am driving my old '68 which was a rattle box ! I can't believe that with all the technology, these modern Vettes still RATTLE !
Any suggestions? or do I have a failed weld somewhere in the cabin cage or windshield frame? The noise is annoying and drives me insane. Need help! :mad

;shrug You have done what is normally suggested as a fix. I have heard about a trick of wrapping the pins with plumber's silicone tape. That would be easy to try.

never had mine rattle.....interested in what you find as the culprit.

Go to the "Knowledgebase" and search for "roof rattle".

There are several roof rattle related issues mentioned here that might be of help to you.

We had a 2006 DSOM coupe that had both the latch related rattle and the roof adhesion (or lack thereof) issue. I took care of the latch rattle by inserting "C-clips" on the latch pin. Our dealer re-glued the roof when they found it delaminating. No more problems.

Last edited:
DELAMINATION ? (Targa Top Rattle issues)

Was the delamination visible or internally. How did they diagnosed the delamination? I read your reply and immediately took my targa top off and examined it, don't see any growth in the thickness or delamination. The "C" clip fix is doable and I will try, THANK YOU!

Go to the "Knowledgebase" and search for "roof rattle".

There are several roof rattle related issues mentioned here that might be of help to you.

We had a 2006 DSOM coupe that had both the latch related rattle and the roof adhesion (or lack thereof) issue. I took care of the latch rattle by inserting "C-clips" on the latch pin. Our dealer re-glued the roof when they found it delaminating. No more problems.

Mine didn't do it until it had around 60K miles. It now has 75K and I have put up with this rattling since then. At the beginning I thought it was the sunvisors rubbing on the plastic bezel of the roof latches, but scratched that. I thought it would be a cracked weld in the windshield frame or the frame "racking", but who knows. The vehicle has never had an accident, not even a slight fender cracker (bender or metal :). The reply after yours mentioned a fiberglass delamination or "ungluing" of the roof, but I didn't see anything peculiar on my roof. I will keep in touch in case I find something.

never had mine rattle.....interested in what you find as the culprit.

Was the delamination visible or internally. How did they diagnosed the delamination? I read your reply and immediately took my targa top off and examined it, don't see any growth in the thickness or delamination. The "C" clip fix is doable and I will try, THANK YOU!

It was not visible. I'm not sure but I think the service department used something like a feeler gauge and slipped it between the roof and the roof frame. It's not supposed to go between them.

Isn't there a recall on the delaminating roof? Seems like there is or was one.

Maybe that was with the Z06's early on.....;shrug

Noisy Targa top

My 2008 coupe has annoying rattles when car is moving at any speed and turning, going through bumps, etc. I removed the top and noticed that the pins were loose, so I tightened them, dressed them up with a little grease and the rattles went away. However, they came back after a couple of months. Removed the top again, found the pins were nice and tight and redressed the pins with grease (they still had grease from previous application) but this time the rattle has not gone away. Sometimes I think I am driving my old '68 which was a rattle box ! I can't believe that with all the technology, these modern Vettes still RATTLE !
Any suggestions? or do I have a failed weld somewhere in the cabin cage or windshield frame? The noise is annoying and drives me insane. Need help! :mad

Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V49RPk3VRnk

There was a recall on the delaminating removable top in 2006. Mine rattled shortly after purchase in 2006. Dealer replaced the top under the recall.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom