Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does this sound right?

Mangod00

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT-1 coupe
Today my cat - back exhaust and headers are getting installed. (borla and hooker). I am also putting on a K+N Air Filter, New wires and plugs as well as an oil change.
I have a 1996 LT-1 and before my mechanic stared doing anything he had it dynoed. The numbers sound a bit low. 245 HP and 295 ft-lbs. The car is bone stock right now. I expected some loss but 55 HP seems to be alot. Does this sound right? Also I wonder how much difference the above mentioned mods will make....

Just one more thing...I think he put regular fuel in instead of premium..Will this lower the numbers significantly?

245 is a bit low for an LT1 and if he was running regular gas in it then that would definitely lower the observed RWHP.

Auto's exhibit a larger drive train power loss than manuals - may 18%. 18% of 300HP is 54. So, maybe it's close to normal.

Generally, I have noticed stock LT1's show 250-260 on the dyno.

How did it do after the header and exhaust installation?

Tuna said:
245 is a bit low for an LT1 and if he was running regular gas in it then that would definitely lower the observed RWHP.

Auto's exhibit a larger drive train power loss than manuals - may 18%. 18% of 300HP is 54. So, maybe it's close to normal.

Generally, I have noticed stock LT1's show 250-260 on the dyno.

How did it do after the header and exhaust installation?
It is being installed as I type..Probably a couple of days before I get her back...

Mangod00 said:
Today my cat - back exhaust and headers are getting installed. (borla and hooker). I am also putting on a K+N Air Filter, New wires and plugs as well as an oil change.
I have a 1996 LT-1 and before my mechanic stared doing anything he had it dynoed. The numbers sound a bit low. 245 HP and 295 ft-lbs. The car is bone stock right now. I expected some loss but 55 HP seems to be alot. Does this sound right? Also I wonder how much difference the above mentioned mods will make....
my 1991 has 245 HP tell him check it agian

Maybe your cats were plugged up some, I bet your gonna notice a BIG difference. If not, you better start looking for a problem. :w

Well got the new updated dyno results...

I/m up to 264 HP to the rear wheel and 302 ft-lbs

Not as much as I would have thought but the guys dynoing are telling me that is what I should expect....

Mangod00 said:
Well got the new updated dyno results...

I/m up to 264 HP to the rear wheel and 302 ft-lbs

Not as much as I would have thought but the guys dynoing are telling me that is what I should expect....
For headers and exhaust, a 20HP improvement is about right. Still seems a little low for an otherwise stock LT1.
Then again, maybe the dyno needs calibrating!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom