Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does your C5 LS1 use any oil between oil changes?

bluecoupe

Corvette
former C3&C5- future C7 when jr's college is paid
Does your C5 LS1 use any oil between oil changes? Does anyone know how low the oil is when the low oil light comes on? Is some oil usage normal on a LS1 motor?

Frank,

Here are links to some older threads on the same topic:

Oil Consumption
Oil consumption?
There are more, just search the C5 Tech Forums for "oil consumption."

Also, a related service bulletin can be found in our
Knowledgebase.

Thanks. I did a search on "oil usage" and it came up blank.

My 2003 C5 convertible 6 speed , I don't see the excessive oil consuming. Infact too much oil when I drainned (up to 6 quarts)
OS

My 01 A4 with 3:15 convertible built 1st week of July 2000 uses oil and has the piston noise but has run 12:98 @ 109mph at Beech Bend. And has no modifications.

Redvet , not bad . I am @ 13 flat @ 106 mph stock , same set up as yours , I really believe the 3:15 gear is worth it . I use very little oil , 1/2 quart 1500 to 2000 miles . I only have 9000 miles on her now .
Thanks ,
Joe
I just checked my oil , from 7500 to 9000 miles I have not used any oil , I think now I am fully broken in . I will change and keep track , I think some oil loss is normal anyway .

I am with you on the 3:15 with an A4. I just love to pick on A4's with the 2:73 gear it isnt even a race. My car uses oil on long trips where i am running 80+ mph engine rpm up and steady but local driving it dosent use any.

Do you see any pattern. Run the LS1 above 3k rpm, it burns oil. Don't run the LS1 above 3k, it doesn't. Race it, you will burn oil and break things. Don't abuse it it works fine.

What pattern??

I race it, abuse it, averaged 68 miles per hour on a 750 mile trip, smoke the tires, drive it in the snow, and drive it like it was stolen. Change the oil every 5,000 miles if it need it or not and it sees 140 more than it should. Haven't added a drop yet. What was the pattern you were referring to? I did have to put on a set of tire after 6 years of use, (I run 2 sets, 1 to ride, 1 to race).

Redvett,

Ain't the 3:15 a kick in the pants when she shifts at 90 MPH.

I think I'm in a life crises, but way past it being a mid life crises.

Yea haaaaaa

Not a drop, but I only have 32,000 miles and change the oil at 25% life always using Mobil 1.
Tom

03 AE vert 6-sp w/13k+ miles. Haven't noticed any oil use between filter changes. The wife thinks shifting below 3000 is for econo boxes - besides she likes the sound.
It's seen 125 and had a few drags.

Can't complain.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom