Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Doesnt start... but hear clicking

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
I went to turn the key and i got a "click" and then nothing. Car went dead. No turn over, no radio, no windows, no nothing, etc.

I can hear faint clicking sounds (relay?) from under the passanger side dash area with key out. I also noticed with the key out, the oil presure and a few gauges moved slightly up. when insert the key in to try to start, everything went down to zero.

I let it sit for a few mins, went inside to get keys for my other car and tried again and got a little "hummm" sound something, but then nothing happened. back to previous paragraph.

I have been having trouble starting recently. it tends to miss on attempt to crank. i was guessing this is the fuel pump, but now car has nothing. Battery is 2yrs old in good shape. Manual 6spd.

Advise before get home and try to diagnos/fix.
John

bad ground on the battery.

What Volts are being indicated on the dash?

Mine did this very same thing... turns out it was the starter. Had to wriggle under the Vette as best I could and give the started a coupla good whacks with a towel covered wrench. Started right up, but low readings prevailed. Had it replaced.

went to start this morning and turned on for 1 sec and then dead! after a closer examination, the battery bolt on the ground cable was stripped! it just would not tighten. so i'm heading to the auto store later and getting a new one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom