Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Don't take the candy right out of my mouth!

D

Dr. Donna

I have been in love with corvettes since I was 12 years old. I am finally going to buy one. Dreams can and do come true. I like the style of the older models better than the newer ones. My husband found a 92 for $12,995 with, I think, 53,000 miles on it. The last owner kept it as a garage queen and it looks wonderful to the eye. I finally got to take it for a test drive. Three blocks away is a Chevy dealer, the dealer that took care of this vette. I went there to have it checked out and to also see what work had been done on it during the past ten years. All was in good order. Only problem....I drove up and turned the car off at the service center. A worker went to turn the car on, so far so good. He moved it over and then he couldn't turn it off. They finally had to take a wire off the battery to get it to turn off. Good news, the fix it cost is on the dealer that actually owns this vette, I will know that it has a new starter. The only problem is this.....I have waited all these years to finally follow through and get one, finally get behind the wheel and only get to go three blocks and that is all. I was so ****ed to not even really get to see how it handled or drove for that matter. Like a kid with a lollypop, you get to only lick for a taste and you don't get the center reward. Now I can only wait until the dealer calls me back to let me know it is repaired and I will try again. Only this time I better get the center reward as a lick just will not do. Can't wait until I get my first wave!!

:w Here is your first CAC wave...Welcome to the shop. If you want something that is not going to break, buy a new Corvette. Seeing as your potential car is 12 years old, it is bound to have a problem or two turn up. Part of the fun is finding the problem and fixing it...Remember, you will always have a large "family" of Corvette owners around to help.

Hi JonM, Thanks for the support and my first wave. I agree with the older car issues, but darn I want that complete test drive, not just a taste of what is to be. Very much looking forward to having it back to check out!

That is just too sweet MRHeavan :beer Doc, welcome to :CAC. Somehow I doubt you'll be working on your own car, so, as Jon said there will be problems that will occur, just find one you like and enjoy it :lou The first one may not be the best one, drive several. There's no rush ;)

Be glad it happened before you bought the car! I bought mine drove it home just about 200 miles the car ran fine. The next morning I jumped out of bed and cleaned the car from top to bottom and then some, after finishing I was going to take my neighbor for a ride....the car would not run, the water pump had gone out leaking on the Opti spark which burnt the opti spark out. So long story short....and $1500 later the car runs great now but I was the same as you when the car would not run I freaked. My wife said I looked like a kid who had the top of his ice cream cone fall off in the street.

Dr. Donna I purchased my first vette 2 months ago(1988whitecoupe). It only had 58k on it so I expected not to have any problems with it(ha ha ha). I drove it home about 30 miles and the rack and pinion dumps fluid all of my brothers driveway. Although the dealer I bought if from put in a new rack the feelings I had weren't good ones. Good luck to ya.

Good luck with the C4. It's really a great car...the only problem I find is that if you can't drive it for whatever reason it some ill effects on the soul. Nice to live your dream!

Dr. Donna

welcome to CAC

as Jon said, if you want a car that probably won't break and need repairs now and than buy a new one, but you are looking at a USED car no matter how great of shape it may be in. On the other hand, if it was well maintained and used carefully the amount of issues you have with the car should be limited as it really isn't all that old compared to the vettes a lot of us have, Try dealing with the maintance of a 40 year old car! ;LOL

good luck with this one and if it doesn't work out don't get upset, there are a LOT of very good condition C4's out there to choose from. You will get your reward soon enough - if not from this car than from another one.

Take your time and find the RIGHT car for you and the best advice I can offer when selecting the car is this: Buy with your HEAD, not your HEART. It's VERY, VERY easy to fall in love with a car once you drive it and that leads to regrets later on when you realize you maybe should have waited and not jumped into buying the first car you saw and drove. Take your time, look at a lot of them, test drive them, and check them out as thoroughly as possible before reaching for your checkbook.

I don't want to sound like a broken record (or do I?) but I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with everything that has been posted on this thread.

I worked on Covettes (I owned an auto and truck repair shop for nearly 20 years!) and could ONLY test drive them because I could not afford one.

When I sold my shop, I finally bought a brand spanking new 1992 coupe. Bright red with black interior. What a car! What a Corvette! 51,000 miles in two and a half years and still looked as good as when I bought it. Traded that in on a new 1994 coupe. Torch red with black interior (Bright red had been discontinued, how sad!) 34,000 miles in a year and a half. Traded that in on an ordered 96 CE LT4 with Torch Red interior. Sweeeeeet!

My point is: This will just be the FIRST in a long line of Vettes for you. Stop and enjoy every minute. Be thankful they will be installing an OEM starter and paying the bill on top of it!

Take the car for a very long test drive. Get to know her. Put her thru the paces. Just start to crack the envelope as to what she will do. You are gonna love it!

Save The Wave! :w

Hi and welcome Dr. Donna. Have you had the call back from the dealer yet. If so, how was the REAL test drive?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom