Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door glass adjustment help!!!!!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
I need help ;help

I am - this close to putting a pair of grenades in my doors and blowing them off the car!

I have a set of power window tracks from a 82 in the car, the 69 convertible glass, and new power window motors. I lubricated all the tracks when I had them out.

The windows go up and down just fine.

The problem is, I can't seem to adjust the glass right. It is either hitting the front window weather strip to the extent that it is hard to close the door, then the motors don't have enough juice to push them up and down with the door closed, or they won't go high enough to hit the upper convertible top weather strip.

It seems like all would be fine if I could shove the windows back about 1/4" to the rear of the car. I don't see how I can actually pull this off.

Any ideas, or reference material I can review?

First the simple things like, are you sure it just isn't the fresh weatherstripping that is causing the problem Chris?

_ken :w

Top of door,2 center of the 4 bolts for tracks,those are the fore/aft adj.,the outter 2 are the in/out,also should be a stop at top and bottom of each track.If nothing else a firemens ax also works.

69myway

seems like we had similiar problems, only I put convert glass in my 82's doors they were 69 glass to, mine did the same thing after loosening everything to get the glass in, I found it easiest to shut the door completly loosen all window track related bolts and then roll window up, this should allow the window to line up on it's own (ours did) after it does I then tightened all bolts and put index marks and then did my final adjustments don't forget to loosen the felt things at the top of the door on mine these are about a 1/2 inch from touching glass as there final position.

four bolts at the top off the door (front and rear) these control how far forward the window is as well as how far in and out the position is.

look at the top of your tracks (two vertical ones) at the top of each one you will see a bolt this is for height adjustment.

I loosened all of these and my door glass pretty much lined itself up then with the index marks I was able to make small adjustments without loosening my starting point, roll window up slowly and tighten everything from inside

hope that helps a little

topless, great suggestion.

Just came back in from doing more battle. I decided to put the battery on slow charge for a while as I am sure the constant up and down and up and down, not to mention I have burned the interior lights and stereo for a bit without running the engine.

I digress. Anyway, I did as you said ran it up with the door closed and all the adjustments loose. That got me in the ball park. However, the window is just too far forward at max reverse manual adjustment. I can get it to sit nice with the door closed, but when I open, then close, it tries to catch the front edge of the door glass on the stainless trim that goes up the side of the windshield.

With that said I took the dremel to the front mount part of the door frame and gave myself about 1/4" more to go backwards.

I set it up. So far so good. The window is about 1/4" shy of hitting the top in the rear against the weatherstrip if you run it up on its power with the door closed. However, with the door open, it will run all the way up and close tight.....thus the battery on charge to see if that will give a little more kick to the window motor.

If this works, I can button up the door panel and go back to the driver side.

You guys are the best!

Thanks!

BTW- having cut this car into thirds and then welding it back with no template.....no doubt it is "off" at some point. It could be that I actually laid the windshield frame back a few degrees more than it should be.

If worse comes to worse, I can always have the glass shaved a tad.

But.....so far so good with this latest method.

Ken, yes the strips are so new and fresh they are putting pressure here there and everywhere that will eventually wear in giving more play....and rattles.

AFter trying the suggestions here, and getting in touch with a local corvette expert, I got darn close to making these fit right. However, even with new motors, the windows just won't go all the way up with the doors closed.

So, my local expert advised me to check the springs in the regulators. Now, I have no idea what a healthy spring should feel like, but I know for a fact these came out of a 82 c/e model that had actually been swamped and the windows up for a long time. It is possible the springs are weak.

So, I ordered a new pair of springs (about $20 each) and have pulled the passenger window regulator and glass back out.

If this works, I will be in business.

Right now I might as well make it all work as perfect as possible.

topless82vette said:
69myway

if you want to get rid of the springs let me know need a set for mine

You want the original ones? Sure, no problem. I guess that would be about $5-8 shipping from here to there, but other than that they are yours.

I also just ordered new rollers. I noticed that eventhough I soaked mine in liquid wrench last winter, and freed them up, one of the two on the passenger side is kind of tight. No doubt, that won't help the operation to remain smooth.

I'm definitely curious to know if this works. I have (Had?) the EXACT same problem after replacing my seals.

the window 'more or less' fits in the front A-piller seams, but then hangs up on the rear seal about 3/4 the way up. I have to open my door to let the window go all the way up. It still doesn't seal completely with the T-Top though (about 1/8" gap). I thought about shaving down the rear seal, but I believe that's porous foam and wouldn't have the smooth outer finish.
And if the window is about 1" down, it clips that metal clip right above the rear seal (the clip for the T-Top peg).

Passenger side isn't that bad...just the driver side... but the passenger side is definitely tight as well...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom