Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Door lock hole problem...... A Repair available??

Gohot

Corvette
1982 C3
Mine is an 82 C3, and I'm sure some of you have seen or had or heard of hogged out tumbler lock holes in the door. By hogged out, I mean the positioning lug on the tumbler having carved slightly into the door skin. Thus when you manually open the door unlocking it with a key, you will rotate the tumbler/lock barrel clockwise. When you do that you will also loose engagement of the pin inside the door that activates the lock mechanism. Has anybody made some kind of .....faceplate..?... or some insert whatnot to fix this mess. Otherwise I'd guess the fix is to sand down the door and re-glass the lock hole area and then re-holesaw it and Dremel a tumbler slot at 3:00 on the hole. What about 'shaved doors' and filling it completely in and locating the electric door locks in a 'stealth' place or have remote key-fob activated locks?

The source problem was caused by the retainer clip on the inside of the door continually working off, and then allowing the tumbler to float around and tilt down inside and tilt outward on the outside of the door.

I don't want to change door skins, because re-glassing the holes would be simpler, and then the re-paint and all. I just figured somebody made a thin repair fascia to go between the tumbler lip and the outside of the door skin. I think you can picture what I mean .............thanks ...Rich

progress.gif

I don't see why you can't make one to fit your needs...
Or make two,one for each side or repair the hole...seems like you easiest options .....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yea, it might come down to that huh... Maybe some aluminum sheetmetal stock and drill press with a little Dremel work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom