Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Doug Nash 4+3

Well:crazy
I don't know why when you have to take your Corvette into the shop, it is always a two plus week ordeal.
I had ws going on a road trip, took the car in to change the tras and OD fluids. I mentioned to my mechanic that after my last trip and having the digital dash replaced the trans was humming. Thought maybe he had removed some insulation in the console. He found metal chips on the drain plug and a missing screen and no pick-up tube.
Took the car to the Trans. Mechanic. 2nd gear was bad, new syncro slider needed? OD needed re-build. It shuld have been ready today. Nope, he got to busy to finish it. (2 1/2 weeks already) 1 week was just trying to find parts. Esy so far $1600. I guess for another $1800 I maybe could have replaced it with a 6 peed. The trans. mechanic says I'll get many more years out of it now. Hum hope he is right, If i'd known before what I know now. I would have waited and bought a new Z06. (Naw, I couldn't wait that long) I noticed I'm having with-drawls. I ask my wife to do all the driving in her Yukon. Just not fun driving anymore! I have so much invested in this on now I'll have to keep it for another 10 years.
Thanks for listening.:cry

Sorry to hear that Gus but you know what, our 85's are a great car in the end. With your new rebuild thats a major part of the car you'll never have to worry about.

Way I see it our car is going to be a collector someday. Its the first year for fuel injection since 1965. Also the 84-85 are the only C4's without the rear hatch light. Theres a bunch of things about our car that makes it unique.

After my cars all restored and customized the way I want it. I'll never sell it. I may buy a different one but I'll never sell this one. Over the last month I debated about it (Usually when somethings wrong) but days like today makes it all worth while. My wife and I had a long wonderful drive while shopping place to place. Was fun!

Keep it Real
:D

BigRed,
Well I guess your right. I'm just depressed.
I see you have good taste in color (RED)
BTW, What is Prime Slant 3 wheels? Is that a brand? 16" 17"

This past year I have:
4 new GoodYear Eagle tires
4 new KYB Shocks
New battery
Replaced the valve cover gaskets
New engine block heater
Radiator repair
New digital dash
New Power Effects Exhaust
New Kenwood MP3/CD stereo
New Road Runner Chip
Air Foil
K&N open Air Filter Kit
and now the trans & overdrive
Guess What?
I retired last year. My 401k crashed.
Anyone looking for a good employee?
;help
Gus
P.S. The car only has 49,000 miles on it.

GusVette said:
I have so much invested in this on now I'll have to keep it for another 10 years.

But that's a good thing Gus. ;)

_ken :w

Sorry to hear about your retirement, I heard about that on the news...

But heres my wheels KEEPO In mind with some flapper wheel work and ALOT of metal polishing they are looking MUCH different now.

They are 16x9.5's all the way around.

Heres a better picture

(Little quality loss from resizing)

BTW It really is Red (Alot of sun and use of flash that day)

WOW you sure keep your CLEAN!!

Is that the factory red?!! Mines been repainted 4 times but this last time I had it redone to factory spec's....

Im just having a problem believing that our cars are the same color!! LOL your looks WAY deeper!

:beer

Gus, you sure did change it around, eh? Thanks for including my Corvette on your site, or I guess I should say CorvetteS -- I like the flyover change. ;)

_ken :w

Hmm Ok Im going to do some night time city backdrop pictures maybe tommorrow Hehe your looks REAL good Grats! I sure know how hard it is keeping ANY car looking like that.

(Especially considering mine isn't garaged yet) ((Will be in about 1 month in my dad's (MINE) fancy new garage/shop LOL And it is MY bay we've made that perfectly CLEAR ROFL

Well.....
The car was supposed to be finished today:mad

After they got it all back together and went for a test drive it shifts great, but has a hum in the trans. goes away after od engaged. Looks like a inner bearing in the trans. Guess what Chevrolet does not stock it. We are now searching for a replacement bearing. I told the trans shop I knew I should have just dropped in a 6 speed.
So Ken, How much does that cost (6sp) Remember I'm on a pension.
Gus...
:crazy

Shifter adjustment

Hello all,
I have an 88 4+3 and need to adjust the shifter. It grinds going into reverse and 1st and 2nd are tough to get in 3rd & 4th go in great. Any help on which way to adjust? I see there are 3 rods from the shifter to the transmission and there is thread adjustment on those. I was just going to play at moving them untill I get it right but if someone has done this and can give me some tips I would apreciate it.
Thank You

Jeff
884+3 Z51

Jeff, I have the same issue with my shifter. I had my mechanic adjust the linkage last time it was in the shop, but it didn't help. He said that there are three plates that move around in the shifter and these can crack or get misaligned and that was probably causing my shift problems. Unfortunately, it's not a simple fix.

Adjusting the linkage is simple - at the shifter end of the metal rods, there is a cut-out circle on each rod. Slip a small drillbit or something similar through the circles with the shifter in neutral. All three should line up. If not, adjust them until they do (at this point, the direction to adjust should be obvious; I don't recall which way off the top of my head).
[RICHR]

Nash 4+3 adjustment

Thanks Rich and Gus,
I was reading in the manual that I need to remove the front drivers seat for this. Did your mechanic do that or just take the top plate off? It talked about a gauge or drill bit to use to align it, so that makes sense about lining up the 3 circles. I just couldn't imagine what it would look like. I have over an inch of sloppiness in mine so I might have one of those plates cracked then. If this doesn't fix it I might have to check out the sncro slider as Gus did. I know there are the 3 rods coming out of the transmission to the shifter so I was assuming 1 for reverse 1 for 1&2 and one for 3&4. Thank You

Jeff
88 4+3 Z51

Yes, one rod for reverse, one for 1-2 and one for 3-4.

My mechanic was able to adjust the alignment without going in from the inside; the instructions for installing the Mid America 4+3 short-shift kit also say to adjust from under the car.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom