Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: dragging brake?

English Guy

Corvette
89 red coupe
Hi, any idea's on how to fix a driver's side rear brake dragging? Could it be something to do with the parking brake as my m.o.t. garage told me the parking brake was working on the driver's side rear wheel much better that the other side? Also when the parking brake is applied it sometimes sticks on a bit when released,(again on driver's side) I can't work out if the problem is with the caliper or the parking brake and any advice would be very welcome. Thanks folks:)

Hi, any idea's on how to fix a driver's side rear brake dragging? Could it be something to do with the parking brake as my m.o.t. garage told me the parking brake was working on the driver's side rear wheel much better that the other side? Also when the parking brake is applied it sometimes sticks on a bit when released,(again on driver's side) I can't work out if the problem is with the caliper or the parking brake and any advice would be very welcome. Thanks folks:)

They probably got the cable adjustment AFU where it pulls more on one side. See if the FSM adjustment proceedure is available to them. I believe you have the inner drum type parking shoe with disc for normal braking. The drum is cable operated.

I believe you have the inner drum type parking shoe with disc for normal braking. The drum is cable operated.
'89 has the park brake on the caliper.
Movement should be equal on both because of the equalizer setup where cable from handle joins the two caliper cables

Jack rear and remove wheels.
See if park brake levers move same amount on both calipers when park applied. ( lever could be binding up ) .Check that cable from caliper is free to move
Are brake pads equal thickness?
If one is worn more then it will not clamp up with same tension
There is a adjustment grub screw on each caliper to adjust the starting position of of the pad for park brake use

'89 has the park brake on the caliper.
Movement should be equal on both because of the equalizer setup where cable from handle joins the two caliper cables

Jack rear and remove wheels.
See if park brake levers move same amount on both calipers when park applied. ( lever could be binding up ) .Check that cable from caliper is free to move
Are brake pads equal thickness?
If one is worn more then it will not clamp up with same tension
There is a adjustment grub screw on each caliper to adjust the starting position of of the pad for park brake use

What would be involved in an upgrade from the shoe brake to the caliper style? can that be done?

Whats your opinion on that?

I just had to rebuild the damn parking brake (shoes) because they were worn out and I've NEVER used them........

Where is the grubscrew on caliper, didn't even know it had one
Changes the pivot point position

Read this 1st.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574610903-post5.html

caliperadjust.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom