Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Dragging the air dam (under the front bumber) on bumps in the road

altonloe

Corvette
2009 Crystal Red Metalic
I have a new 2009 coupe (3,000 miles) and find my air dam rubbing a lot. (Just to be clear, this is the flexible appendage under the front bumper.)

It drags on high spots in the road, and especially when I turn into my drive way and go up over the "rolled" curb. I've only had the car for a few months, and can see some wear on it on the outside corners. I actually asked the dealer to replace it when the car was a couple of weeks old because the plastic screws that hold the two outside pieces to the center piece was broken and the hole was torn out.

Are the rest of you guys with C6's having this problem? What do you do, just ignore it? Or is there something wrong with my car that needs to be fixed by the factory?

As a C5 owner the issue you described is common among both the C5 and C6. We just need to keep in mind that our Vettes sit low and be watchful. When I scrape I always say that the driveway/entrance/road failed the Vette test! :eek:hnoes

With C4, 5 and 6, scraping the air dam on higher surfaces, curbs, driveways, etc is normal.

In fact, the air dams on all these cars are designed to "give" slightly to be able to "scrape" without significant damage.

Eventually, the dam has to be replaced but unless you massively scrap the dam all the time, it will be along time before you need to replace it.

Why do these cars have air dams like that?

Two reasons 1) aerodynamics...the air dams reduce airflow going under the vehicle and 2) with C4 and C5, which are "bottom breathers" as far as their cooling air flow, the dam channels cooling air up and through he cooling stack.

A Corvette-friendly driveway was one of the requirements during our last home search. Half the houses we looked at here in hilly NC failed the test. The house we bought passed, but just barely.

the C6 seems to drag more than the C5

We traded in our C5 to get our new C6. The C6 seems to drag more than the C5 ever did. Plus, if I am not mistaken, the C5 had a spring on the air dam to let it move when you hit something. The C6's air dam doesn't have a spring. It seems to rely on the flexibility of the plastic to move out of the way of bumps in the road.

Am I wrong?

If you read the owner's manual, it states that the air dam rubs and not to be concerned. My C4s, C5s, and C6 all rub and that is why you see so many corvettes slow down and angle their turns to avoid the rubbing at particularily bad areas of the ground. I do agree that the C6s rub more than the C5s. I just live with it, but it still is uncomforting to hear it rub.
Barrett

Rubbing

Well, I guess the only thing you can do is lower your C-6, slam that SOB. Into everything.:boogie

A Corvette-friendly driveway was one of the requirements during our last home search. Half the houses we looked at here in hilly NC failed the test. The house we bought passed, but just barely.

That is something I did not consider when I bought my first Vette. I just dropped $22K on a new driveway (replaced old one) at the beginning of summer....looks great to....very happy with it...:D

It does drag easily

I heard a lot of dragging in my 98 Camaro from it's air dam. So I got used to the sound and it doesn't bother me much on the Corvette. However, I do try to keep it to a minimum. One thing I found on my Corvette was the outer portion of the air dam was installed wrong on the passenger side. The outer rubber section was on the back of the center section, and the attachment pin was not holding anything. I saw it a couple of times before I snapped that it was wrong and fixed it. If that is the only thing wrong with the car I will be happy. :)

By the way the only mechanical issues I have had so far was a bad belt idler bearing at around 100,000 miles and a "worn" air dam.

Bob

True story, mine drags on everything higher than horse manure in the road. 3 intersections in Bowling Green of all places everyday to and from work. So far after 18 months the air dam still looks good in spite of the awful noise several times a day. Our recent trip up the Blueridge Parkway saw multiple scrape events every few miles. Something ya just have ta get used too :w

Air Dam on 2010 Grand Sport

:confusedWell where I live they installed a speed hump which scrapesd the hell out of my air dam. Got the part #GM15834249 for $189.00. It bolts off and on easily. Now off to small claims court to get the money back from my homeowners association for installing a speed huimp with out enough incline for me to clear.

Dragging along

I taught myself to 'Look' at the pavement just ahead of me when I pull off the road so I don't scrape. If you give it a try you'll see that you develope a eye for roads the scrape.

But I also bougt a New air dam and have it put away. but I've also noticed if i back out of my drive way a particular way I don't scrape as badly as if i back straight out. A little experience is all that's needed.

You can freely remove the air dam if it bothers you so much, there seems to be a misconception that the air dam directs cool air into the radiator and makes your car run cooler. This is simply not true. I drove around for several years in my 1990 without an air dam and my temps were no lower when I finally installed a new one. In addition, the c6 has a split grille, so you'll get plenty of air coming in through the big mouth in front. I'm sure the air dam serves some cosmetic or other trivial purpose, but your car won't overheat or fly off the road due to "lift" if you remove it.

The air dam reduces turbulance under the car

I read the book "all corvettes are red" that talks about the birth of the C5. I recall a section that said that the purpose of the air dam was to keep air from going under the car and creating turbulance. The air dam supposedly reduces drag and increases fuel economy.

I just wish it was on a spring to absorb the bumps without damaging the air dam.

:confusedWell where I live they installed a speed hump which scrapesd the hell out of my air dam. Got the part #GM15834249 for $189.00. It bolts off and on easily. Now off to small claims court to get the money back from my homeowners association for installing a speed huimp with out enough incline for me to clear.

Don't cha just love those homeowners associations :mad Thats one of the reasons I moved out into the sticks. Of course, now I have to deal with a gravel driveway :eyerole

Don't cha just love those homeowners associations :mad Thats one of the reasons I moved out into the sticks. Of course, now I have to deal with a gravel driveway :eyerole

Well you are right about HO Associations, I did take them to small claims court and won:) At least it covered the part and fees. Yes they did take the bump out of the hump and softened it. The car clears nicely. Now I have to watch for dips in the roads which at times is worse that the humps!:beer

:D Same for me. The real estate agent got a big kick out of it.

Tom

"The scraping sound !"

If you read the owner's manual, it states that the air dam rubs and not to be concerned. My C4s, C5s, and C6 all rub and that is why you see so many corvettes slow down and angle their turns to avoid the rubbing at particularily bad areas of the ground. I do agree that the C6s rub more than the C5s. I just live with it, but it still is uncomforting to hear it rub.
Barrett

It was a big annoyance when I first bought my 2003. But as the years pass like the above member noted, you get the hang of it. To be on the safe side, I bought a new one from GM and if in the future the damn thing starts to fall off, I've got a replacement. Looking at a C6 make me think they would scrape worse ? or it might just be that they stick out so far ? I don't know ! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom