Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Draining Sound from rear when I shut down

• Thread starter Johnnykretentiv
  • Start date
J

Johnnykretentiv

Gang -
I have been out driving my car lately and have a question about something that has either just popped up or has been there I finally noticed it.

When I get home I shut down the car (obviously). Then for about 5 seconds I hear what sounds like water draining down a pipe on the rear passenger side of the car? It almost sounds like it's in the rocker panel.

Could it be fuel going through some lines? I'm at about 3/4 tank.

It's not a gurgling sound but does sound like water going through a pipe.

I have done some searches and see things like "air in the coolant line" to blown head gasket.

Temps are good and coolant looks normal. It is a tad low. (about .5" - .75" below full when cool line). I'll take care of that on Monday with some dexcool.

Please let me know what you think it is.

God I hope it's not a head gasket!!!!

Edit - (more info)
1999 w 40500 miles
no smoke in exhaust
no antifreeze smell in exhaust
no white residue on oil cap

From what I have read on LS1tech it is probably just the coolant and I should flush it out. Do you agree?

From the location of the sound, I don't see how it could be a head gasket...
There are two fuel tanks back behind the seats. Could fuel movement be the source of your sound?

Things are making sense now!!! This morning I took the boy to school. When I stopped I heard nothing. Then I drove to work. When I stopped the car I heard nothing. One common factor between both of these stops... I was on flat ground.

The one common factor between the two times I heard the noise.... I parked on my driveway first to open the garage door. It is on a steep incline. Then I drove into the garage and parked the vette. Then I hear the gurgling noise. Interesting.....

I bet it's fuel.

From the location of the sound, I don't see how it could be a head gasket...
There are two fuel tanks back behind the seats. Could fuel movement be the source of your sound?
I think Jim has hit it on the head here!!! It's the fuel equalizing volume in the tanks side to side!!!:upthumbs:D!!!!

I think Jim has hit it on the head here!!! It's the fuel equalizing volume in the tanks side to side!!!:upthumbs:D!!!!

Boy that makes me feel better. And it makes perfect sense.

Thanks Dudes!!!

After the tank is below 3/4 full the noise does not happen, I'ts fuel. Case closed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom