Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dreaded Steering Coulmn Lock

Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
Well, it finally happened to me. I parked my Z06 and went into a store. When I came back out, my steering would not unlock. Brutus was hauled away on a flatbed and got the recall treatment to fix the column. It works fine now.

So what's the deal with the bypass kit. Is this something I should do or not? The GM tech told me that it was possible that I could have the lock issue again, but said that the bypass kit presents its own issues as well. What is everyone else's experience?

It is my understanding that there are two recalls for this problem, not just one. Maybe you can do a search to find out what these two recalls are and to make sure that both of these have been done to your ZO6. We had them done on our '02 and have never had a problem.

Elaine

Well, it finally happened to me. I parked my Z06 and went into a store. When I came back out, my steering would not unlock. Brutus was hauled away on a flatbed and got the recall treatment to fix the column. It works fine now.

So what's the deal with the bypass kit. Is this something I should do or not? The GM tech told me that it was possible that I could have the lock issue again, but said that the bypass kit presents its own issues as well. What is everyone else's experience?

I installed the Column Lock Bypass in both my tripleblack and my wife's 02 Z06 and never had a problem.
Very easy to do and worth the peace of mind.
It was $50.00 (each) well spent.

By the way, it's not difficult to unlock the column when this happens to you.

1) With the key in the ignition in the "off" position, grab the steering wheel
and pull as hard as you can to the left.

2) While still holding the steering wheel with your left arm and
maintaining the pull towards the left , turn the ignition key to the
"on" position (don't go all the way right to start the car and make sure not to depress the brake or clutch depending on whether your car has an auto or manual tranny).
This will unlock your column and let you drive home.
You can then order the CLB, avoid having your baby towed and a trip
to the dealer.

Regards,
Pedro

There have been many threads on this as you know. I had the column lock occur after the first recall; chevy paid for the towing and repair for the second recall (as GS Diva points out). I then ordered and installed the CLB from Corvettes of Houston. A recent Corvette Magazine stated that even with both recall work done, there are two types of C5 corvettes with M6 trannys, those that have experienced the column lock and those about to have the column lock, no matter what recalls were done. They recommend installing the CLB. So my advice is, purchase the CLB (COH is a good source-can order by phone) and install it yourself, it is easy enough to do. This should fix any problem with the column lock.
Barrett

It is so hard for me to understand why GM had such a poblem with this and a 3rd party was able to come up with a fix.

How many years have they been making these column locks (like it does any good) and they have a problem with the Corvette.

Corvette Magazine stated that even with both recall work done, there are two types of C5 corvettes with M6 trannys, those that have experienced the column lock and those about to have the column lock, no matter what recalls were done. They recommend installing the CLB.
This is absolutely true statement.
It is so hard for me to understand why GM had such a problem with this and a 3rd party was able to come up with a fix.
I puzzled over this just as you. I have spent about 1K in towing charges and false diagnoses and repairs after all recalls were done. GM was quick to respond to my complaints but not willing to refund costs and unable to correct the problem. I installed the CLB two years ago and never had an issue again! The closest I can figure is that it is cheaper to deny the problem or admit to a design failure than to stand by their product and all your loyal customers. Go figure ;shrug must be the new school of economics.

I will likely install one myself. Does this disable the lock altogether so that it does not lock when the car is turned off?

It is my understanding that the CLB will prevent the column from locking, plus it will also prevent the gas shutoff function from activating. This is why the directions say that the column lock be working properly; one cannot install the CLB once the column has locked. It must be unlocked before you install the CLB. From my experience after installing it, you permanently deactivate the lock once you plug the electrical activator into the cigarette or accessory lighter. You hear a definite "click". Now that I have CLB installed, I don't think about it. I have not seen one thread on any forum that says that the column has locked once the CLB was installed; I am sure that if it had happened, someone would have posted it.
Barrett

The car computer receives a signal from the lock mechanism when it disengages and allows the fuel to flow. One of the GM fixes is to remove the locking plate from the assembly. The motor engaging the lock pin is simply junk and often fails. The removal of the plate eliminates the possibility to lock the steering column but the motor and pin continues to function and computer continues to rely on its signal. This fix only proved to make it easy for the tow drivers to steer the car onto a tow truck. The CLB allows one to disconnect the lock mechanism in the unlocked position permanently and still provide a appropriate signal to the computer so that there is no interruption in fuel delivery. Guess the answer to your question is yes, the steering will not lock but this is exactly same result as the GM fix.

Column Lock - The Final Sloution

This tool, made by Hurst Manufacturing, will end
all your problems around C5 column lock situations.
Remo:cool

E503037.jpg

I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I have had my steering column "fixed" per the service bulletins. When I first brought the car home a "Remove Key, Wait 10 Secs" msg appeared on the DIC within a week. If you start the car, the gas shut off will stop the car dead in its tracks in 10 secs. By removing the key, then reinserting, the msg disappeared and the car would operate normally. I was told to still install the CLB but so far haven't done it as the msg has not reappeared for about 3 mos now. My question: My column locking plate was removed (so the dealer says). Will this prevent the steering column from locking up or is there another device that can still lock it? Is there any chance while driving that the gas shut-off will engage? Ok, I guess that's 2 questions.

Column lock problem

Well, i might have started down this road this morning. I was out shopping for my wife and I stopped and parked, but when i tried to take the key out, it wouldn't come out. So I didn't fight with it. I left the key in it and went shopping. When i came out the car started fine and by the time I got home it was Ok and I parked and the key came out without a hitch. But I wonder if this is the beginning of the column lock problem?

Removing the key from the ignition has nothing to do with column lock. The ignition switch is not even part of the steering column. Guess that is the good news, the bad is that your switch is sticking and probably needs cleaning or the worst case replacing.

Removing the key from the ignition has nothing to do with column lock. The ignition switch is not even part of the steering column. Guess that is the good news, the bad is that your switch is sticking and probably needs cleaning or the worst case replacing.

Yeah, i sprayed it with silicone spary once home and in the garage.:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom