Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dressing the engine

S

Striker 85

Cleaning out the 69. Got most of the grease and dirt off with the pressure washer and doing the metal parts with some semi gloss rustolium (Frame Rails, A Arms). Looking to see what other people have used for the firewall and other parts to clean and dress.

Striker,

You'd be better off with POR-15 and the metal prep materials they have. It's an excellent product to use over rust and can be topcoated if desired.

Krylon flat is pretty close for engine bay/firewall paint but Eastwoods sells some materials that are really close to original finishes that look great.

POR15 is a great product but it takes alot of prep work for it to come out right.

I just did my engine with POR-15. It takes time but the results are great! Used Valspar semi-gloss black under the hood, and it looks good.

Did my floors with POR15 they came out great. what ever paint you use under the hood make sure its hi-temp paint.

When working on small areas at a time and not using all the can at once here are a couple of tips I have learned when using POR-15. This paint dries VERY hard and if you dip your brush into the can and some of the run off paint gets into the lid gutter when you put the lid back on and the paint dries you will destroy the can before ever removing the lid. I tip the can slightly so the product is moved to the other side and drill a 1/8” inch hole about a ½” below where the seam for the lid is. Then place a piece of masking tape over the hole. When ready for use I always removed the lid and using a stir stick mixed the paint never shake the can. Then put the lid back on and remove the masking tape and pour into a paper Dixie cup the amount you think your going to use put the tape back over the hole. If the 1/8” hole dries up just punch it out with something. I never used disposable cheep paint brushes because as you’re applying the paint the paint tacks up quickly and the bristles will start to fall out and what a pain to remove them and still have a good finish. When finished for the day I always keep the opened can of POR-15 inside my refrigerator as this helps to extend the shelf life. For none opened cans I always try to rotate them at least every couple weeks; this helps keep the solids in the paint form forming at the bottom.
If you want a finish color coat of paint to stick to POR-15 you will need to scuff the POR-15 with some VERY fine sand paper (1100) as the POR-15 dries on smooth surfaces almost like a porcelain finish.
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom