Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drilled/slotted rotors - mainly for looks?

Craig-o

Corvette
2001 Navy Blue Convert, 6-Speed
It would appear that cross-drilled and/or sloted rotors are all the rage these days. Having taken my car to a few open track days, I'm wondering whether braking can be improved more with different pads (ceramics) or different rotors. I will say that a friend who drives a Mustang Saleen, and a formula Ford competitively was very impressed with the braking on the car - until he got into a friend's 2005 Porsche 997.

So to take it to the next level, do I go to ceramic pads and keep the stock rotors, or is this thing about venting gas during hard brake use more than just someone's theory?

I've not gone to slotted and cross drilled on my 'Vette yet, but I sure plan to when I can. I will tell you that I had a highly modified (Maximum Motorsports Road and Track kit) '97 Cobra Mustang that I sold to get this 'Vette.
I had slotted and cross drilled Baer rotors on the 'Stang..........unbeleivable stopping power. The most confidence-inspiring brakes I have ever had....just solid and with no fade....do go with ceramic or some other pad that does not produce dust, as these rotors will dust down your wheels big-time if you don't................

Thanks, Glenn, for the response. I believe the Porsche 997 (or 911S) has Brembo huge rotors and some pretty beefy calipers (not sure how many pistons). The thing is, he and I are pretty much evenly matched, and I have yet to feel any fade on the stock rotors with the Z06 pads up front (stock pads in the rear, so far).

A friend recommended some Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads, and I think after 65k miles and 3 track days under my belt, I'm going to give them a try. I just can't justify the $800+ for the Baer Eratispeed rotors, and I don't want to go cheap on brakes. But since the stockers seem to perform adequately, I'm tempted to stay with what I have. Just as long as my friend doesn't let me drive the Porsche, maybe ignorance is bliss?

Any other opinions out there?

I put the GM drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads in my 98 this spring. I like them, they stop really well and show almost no signs of wear or brake dust after 1000 miles.
I think they stop a lot better than the stock brakes.

Pete,

No brake dust from them? I was thinking of putting on slotted or slotted and dimpled. Seems that I would need to use ceramic pads, true?

What about brake squeel? Something about squeel that makes a car sound like a truck. I hate that.

and not to hijack this thread, but on my son's 97 Saab, he has a squeel, the pads are new enough, any ideas how to eliminatethe noise?

Thanks.

:confused

Yeah, what Ken says!

No dust. No squeal. No $hit!

Silver 98, try scuffing up the rotors with 120 grit wetordry at 45 degrees off the direction of rotation, then take it out and really stop hard a few times to imbed the pad material into the rotors, that should stop the squeal.

If any of you are thinking about slotted and cross drilled rotors, go look on Ebay at Gripforce's rotors. Zinc coated, sharp looking and only $189 a set!

Is it necessary to change brake pads with new rotors, or can you use your stockers if they are in good shape?

Glenn W. said:
For the very best performance, bed-in some new pads....go to

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Not only will you have fun doing this...you'll end up with powerful, longer lasting pads and rotors...........
========================================================
I agree...after I put the first 500 miles on my '04 Vette, I did the "Bedding" thing...:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom