Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Drive Carefully"

• Thread starter Frankie the Fink
  • Start date
F

Frankie the Fink

Came across this entertaining thread the other day - got a good "hoot" out of all the theories and made-up facts:

I don't care to re-ignite things in a closed thread but in the interest of accuracy and helping out others that might be in a similar situation:

Yes, its my (Frankie the Fink) 63 red split window...the car was hit by an uninsured immigrant driving a borrowed car owned by an uninsured immigrant - both folks "undocumented". This happened on the day of the Orlando "Pulse" shooting just a few miles from that area. The other driver got a ticket and I got a trip to the ER...

I lawyer-ed up and the first thing they do is tell you (and have you sign a form) that says you won't discuss any aspect of the accident in cyberspace -- not on forums, blogs, bulletin boards, web sites or what have you. You are told ANY discussion can hurt your case - like saying "I'm OK" or "It's not that bad" in response to questions. Such a precaution is a sign of the times I guess...

So yes, I didn't discuss ANY aspects of my injuries and car damage
on any forum. When the more ghoulish people (some in the closed thread) kept plugging away at me about it I joked it off. I knew a cursory answer or "getting into it" with certain people would be a bottomless pit... One person had the wreck picture as his personal avatar on the NCRS web site without even knowing if somebody had been seriously injured in the crash. Disturbingly weird IMO...and more support for my not discussing the incident whatsoever.

Call that lying or denial if you want; the point being made to readers is not to be drawn into commentary online about such an incident and imperil your litigation.

Several close friends and Corvette Forum members who I trust: wmf62, mmaturo, mark6669, Mike Coletta and some others who donated original parts to the repairs or provided advice visited the body shop or had extended discussions with me about the car. As to doctored photographs I don't know what that's about; there are TONS of pictures of my car wrecked and in various stages of repair... Some I've uploaded were taken by other friends and acquaintances....so who knows ?

During the repairs I wrote a magazine article for the National Corvette Museum's America's Sports Car publication about the wreck and restoration (some might have seen it). Last summer the repaired car was displayed at a chapter NCRS meet in Riverview, FL as an example of a "resurrected" car alongside a survivor and a partially restored car. Anybody that knows Ed Augustine, Mike Hooker or Chuck Gongloff can confirm...

If this sounds like "presenting the car as a "no-hit classic" then I certainly chose an odd way to do it.

The car has been fixed to the highest standards and I doubt any but a few could detect it...right down to an original header bar, nose support rods, 63-only original date-coded horns, 63 fiberglass headlight buckets, 63 original radiator core support, the "thick" 63-only front bumper support brackets, 63-only original hood, correct for my VIN (no hood blocks), original bumpers -- you-name-it. In some regards its a better car and some unrelated, prior accident damage to the driver's door was repaired as well... The frame was unhurt except for a front "horn" tweaked - fixed easily with a "come-along" and a quick adjustment..

I got a "Diminished Value" appraisal on the car which I have also shared with several people. No way to collect on the estimate from the uninsured defendants with no assets so its just filed away...

Anybody with further questions can PM me here...

To wit, folks finding themselves in similar circumstances should take their lawyers' advice, be prepared for a long journey and not be surprised when others impute your integrity, or, accuse you of potential future fraud or tell you your car is now worthless...

Such is life...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the dialog on this but never commented as I have no first hand knowledge and don't know anyone that commented. I will comment on the fact that this is another example of the plague that is illegal aliens in our country. Fortunately you survived the accident and your car was repairable. It was great that the Corvette community stepped up to assist you in obtaining the rare '63 only parts you needed to correctly repair your car.

Welcome to the CAC
Tom

I've seen the car and they did a good job. What vendor did you purchase the new repo fiberglass from and did it take much work to fit correctly.

A parking light panel in blond glass was purchased from Corvette Image (their products are superb now and they are long past their old issues with the mold release agent causing paint bubbles) An original 63 hood came from a Texas car... The hood surround is also a reproduction as an 63 original surround is an unobtanium part...

Burke's Corvette did a stellar job in "bringing back" as much of the car as possible....all bonding seams are as original and in the proper places... I was amazed that the body shop was able to repair the original 63 fiberglass one-year-only headlight buckets.

Attached is the NCM magazine article I authored about the incident. A bit galling that such an unfortunate event resulted in personal attacks but there you have it...

IMG_0503.jpg

Attachments

• Magazine_Article.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 191
That a great story. Sounds like you and your car have been well taken care of. We like to hear great testimonials about the businesses in our hobby.

Tom

Thanks for the kind comments....

I drive the car 2-3 each week and haven't found a single issue in the years since the accident - no bodywork "print through", the paint still looks phenomenal and the mechanicals and frame are perfect...

I considered having it judged again but I'm kind of over campaigning another car; although I'm still an NCRS member(for 12 years now) and judge occasionally.

Repairs to this level are truly a team effort - Burke's Corvette (48 years experience), National Corvette Museum and lots of friends were on board. I called in a few favors with long-time pals and got many original parts off a one-owner "late" 63 convertible that was being restomodded which was a huge bonus..

As to value, the professional "Diminished Value" report was sobering but that was before the meticulous repairs were even started and is more of an insurance "negotiating" number for litigation. I'd put the car up against 95% of the split windows out there with no qualms..and I see a LOT of them...

On the flip side - I'm a new member here with only one thread but I was a little taken aback that the forum standards allow such comments about another member such as "lying SOB" to remain in a thread without even censuring the member that posted them...

But then again - I'm new. Again thanks and I'm heading out to drive the car in the Florida sunshine!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom