Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driver Information Center (DIC)

bwing

Corvette
03 Z06,66 coupe(sold),99 Porsche Carrera(sold)
Recently when I push on "FUEL" and scroll to "RANGE" it will show incorrect info, ie: 36 miles, when I have a full tank of gas. When I'm driving, I can see the "RANGE" start to increase its miles. If this function of the DIC is malfunctioning, can any other function using the "FUEL" button also malfunction? Can the "TRIP" information also be compromised?

I'm asking this because I am still getting poor gas mileage even after taking it to the dealership and being told that they tested everything and all is working properly. I use the DIC to retrieve my trip odometer mileage then divide my gallons into it to get mpg. MPG for a 100 mile drive showed 22 mpg. This car used to average 29-31 mpg for the same drive. What's wrong?

The battery is charged and the dealership gave it a thumbs up. Anyone else have this problem? I'm getting frustrated over this. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Last edited:
Disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and see if that reboots everything.

Mr. Sam

Disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and see if that reboots everything.

Mr. Sam

This has been done. Removed the NEG cable from battery for 10 mins the other day. Everything still the same. With the price of gas in CA this is getting a bit out of hand. Maybe it's time to trade it in for a new C7 Z06. Going to go back through all my receipts and see what I could have done to cause this problem with the mpg. I may just replace the MAF and bite the bullet for its cost just for my peace of mind. It only has 40k miles on it.

How many miles? Have the front O2 sensors been replaced?

This has been done. Removed the NEG cable from battery for 10 mins the other day. Everything still the same. With the price of gas in CA this is getting a bit out of hand. Maybe it's time to trade it in for a new C7 Z06. Going to go back through all my receipts and see what I could have done to cause this problem with the mpg. I may just replace the MAF and bite the bullet for its cost just for my peace of mind. It only has 40k miles on it.

How many miles? Have the front O2 sensors been replaced?

I have 40,000 miles on the car. The 02 sensors have never been replaced. The dealership said everything on the car is working as it should. Could the 02 sensors malfunction without causing a code to spring up? Checked the DIC this morning and the FUEL "Range" seems to have been resolved showing 264 miles left on just more than 1/2 tank of gas.

Yes they get lazy as they get older you might want to get a scanner and check Fuel Trims.

I have 40,000 miles on the car. The 02 sensors have never been replaced. The dealership said everything on the car is working as it should. Could the 02 sensors malfunction without causing a code to spring up? Checked the DIC this morning and the FUEL "Range" seems to have been resolved showing 264 miles left on just more than 1/2 tank of gas.

Yes they get lazy as they get older you might want to get a scanner and check Fuel Trims.

Thanks for the fast response. I'll make an app't with the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. I don't have a scanner, just a code reader.

Just the sales tax on a new C7 will buy you a whole lot of fuel, plus there is no guarantee that you will get any substantially better mileage.

Do not just throw parts at a vehicle unless a problem has been properly diagnosed. If there are no codes in your PCM leave the 02 sensors and MAF alone. OBD2 vehicles will show a current or history code if a component is bad or going bad. Your issue if there are no codes in you vehicle is probably just driving habits and poor quality ethanol fuel.

At 40K I would probably replace the spark plugs if it were mine, but GM states that you don't have to at that mileage and I don't think it would help your mileage any unless they are really worn or the wrong plugs.

Just the sales tax on a new C7 will buy you a whole lot of fuel, plus there is no guarantee that you will get any substantially better mileage.

Do not just throw parts at a vehicle unless a problem has been properly diagnosed. If there are no codes in your PCM leave the 02 sensors and MAF alone. OBD2 vehicles will show a current or history code if a component is bad or going bad. Your issue if there are no codes in you vehicle is probably just driving habits and poor quality ethanol fuel.

At 40K I would probably replace the spark plugs if it were mine, but GM states that you don't have to at that mileage and I don't think it would help your mileage any unless they are really worn or the wrong plugs.

Yeah, the quip about getting a C7 is just from the frustration. The only recent code thrown was for the #2 air check valve located behind the intake. I think I remedied that by spraying carb/injector cleaner into it. The "CHECK ENGINE" light has not come back on since then. This was a couple of months ago.

I also replaced the OEM air cleaner assembly at the same ^^ time. I had a Vortex RAMMER on it. MAF was cleaned at this time also.

I don't think my driving habits have changed and I use Chevron premium gas with a bottle of Techron thrown in every 5-8 tankfuls. When I last drove the car, yesterday 120 miles, I use the "FUEL" and monitored my mpg's. I registered between 28 and 31 mpg, with highs of 45-60 going down hill, but the AVERAGE MPG reading was still 23.8 mpg on the DIC. So this leaves me a bit stumped.

The spark plugs are original as is everything else. The only thing that isn't is the K&N airfilter in the OEM assembly unit. Yes, it has been cleaned and oil sprayed only on the outer contact area using the K&N cleaner kit.

Yeah, the quip about getting a C7 is just from the frustration. The only recent code thrown was for the #2 air check valve located behind the intake. I think I remedied that by spraying carb/injector cleaner into it. The "CHECK ENGINE" light has not come back on since then. This was a couple of months ago.

I also replaced the OEM air cleaner assembly at the same ^^ time. I had a Vortex RAMMER on it. MAF was cleaned at this time also.

I don't think my driving habits have changed and I use Chevron premium gas with a bottle of Techron thrown in every 5-8 tankfuls. When I last drove the car, yesterday 120 miles, I use the "FUEL" and monitored my mpg's. I registered between 28 and 31 mpg, with highs of 45-60 going down hill, but the AVERAGE MPG reading was still 23.8 mpg on the DIC. So this leaves me a bit stumped.

The spark plugs are original as is everything else. The only thing that isn't is the K&N airfilter in the OEM assembly unit. Yes, it has been cleaned and oil sprayed only on the outer contact area using the K&N cleaner kit.

Since you have a K&N filter using a can of MAF cleaner (use only MAF specific cleaner and nothing else, and it sounds like you already have it) and cleaning it a couple of times may help a bit. Truthfully, a 23.8 mpg average sounds good to me, I only see about 18-19 on the average.

Making an excuse for a C7 is not a bad thing in my opinion, I may have to make one myself. I really like them. :)

Making an excuse for a C7 is not a bad thing in my opinion, I may have to make one myself. I really like them. :)

I really like them also.. IMO, GM hit a home run.

However, that being said, according to my lovely wife all Corvettes have round taillights and preferably flip up headlights.
When one has a wife who supports mid-600s at the tires. Smiles and says if I want to go past 7 or more, it is fine with her; one accepts all Corvettes have round taillights and flip up headlights. ;)

My C5 is my 5th Corvette and I believe the best Corvette is the one we own.

Since you have a K&N filter using a can of MAF cleaner (use only MAF specific cleaner and nothing else, and it sounds like you already have it) and cleaning it a couple of times may help a bit. Truthfully, a 23.8 mpg average sounds good to me, I only see about 18-19 on the average.

I used a can of MAF cleaner on it. Maybe another blast of spray wouldn't hurt. Besides, it gives this retired guy something to do. I really like the C7's but I like the looks/lines of the C5 much more. Well, the weekend is almost over. I'll get on to cleaning the MAF again tomorrow and let you know if there's any change. Heck, maybe I'll also change the plugs and wires too. ;)

If your IPC issue is resolved I don't see an issue.

Mr. Sam

After checking all of the connections relating to fuel/emissions, checking for vacuum leaks, and cleaning the MAF again I found everything to be in working order. I took another all freeway drive today, 114 miles, and only got 22.3 mpg while traveling between 68-70 mph. I had talked to a few people who said the 02 sensors (forward) may be going bad and not showing any code(s), as redvett had mentioned. I ordered two forward 02 sensors which should be delivered by Wednesday. Local parts stores were asking $50 each and the same product on Amazon was selling for $25 each. No brainer, even ordered an 02 sensor removing tool. Hopefully this should remedy my "personal" problem with mpg. If not, check craigslist for an ad. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom