Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Driver Side Window Problem

Nevets2004

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe / Lt. Oak
Hello everyone,

I have an ;04 and the other day I started having a problem with my driver side window. When I roll it down from being fully closed, it makes a sound like something is rattling around in the door panel.

But the operation of the window seems to be fine. It rolls down smoothly and at the right speed but just makes this horrible sound.

I can also tell you that it rolls up wihout any incident at all. In fact, I can roll it up to just about any point and roll it back down and nothing happens. I can even roll it up to about the last half inch then roll it back down and again no unusual noises.

The only time it makes this sound is if I roll it up fully (it makes that last little push before it stops) and then back down. I'm assuming that when the window is at the top of it's travel that something in the mechanism is somehow out of whack.

I spent about 30 seconds looking at the door panel and decided that I may screw up the removal and never get it back together again.

Any suggestions about what may be wrong and does anyone have any instuctions on how to remove and reinstall the door panel?

Much appreciated

Thanks,
Steve

Hello everyone,

I have an ;04 and the other day I started having a problem with my driver side window. When I roll it down from being fully closed, it makes a sound like something is rattling around in the door panel.

But the operation of the window seems to be fine. It rolls down smoothly and at the right speed but just makes this horrible sound.

I can also tell you that it rolls up wihout any incident at all. In fact, I can roll it up to just about any point and roll it back down and nothing happens. I can even roll it up to about the last half inch then roll it back down and again no unusual noises.

The only time it makes this sound is if I roll it up fully (it makes that last little push before it stops) and then back down. I'm assuming that when the window is at the top of it's travel that something in the mechanism is somehow out of whack.

I spent about 30 seconds looking at the door panel and decided that I may screw up the removal and never get it back together again.

Any suggestions about what may be wrong and does anyone have any instuctions on how to remove and reinstall the door panel?

Much appreciated

Thanks,
Steve
Hard to say without removing the door panel and inspecting things!!My bet is that someone has been using the glass for a door handle to push the door shut!!:thumbHeck I've got so I keep C4 Rt and Lt window guides in stock because my wife won't listen,and her time is too important to shut the doors right!!:hb:hb:hb C5's are a little different,but she has some how managed to break the drivers door regulator twice in my 03!:thumb

My bet is that someone has been using the glass for a door handle to push the door shut!!:thumb

Thanks Junk but I don't think it was someone using the window to close the door. I'm the only one who drives it, although my wife occasionally uses it. I could see it happening on the passenger side though. One of my biggest peeves with my passengers is that they use the window to close the door, it drives me nuts.

I think my best bet is to take the door panel off and see what's up. I work at a place that has a gate for access and I do roll it down at least twice a dya. That shouldn't be overuse but you never know.

Thanks

You might try a window adjustment, something may have come loose, not that bad for the average owner to do.

The rear tip in adjusters for the windows are located right behind the red reflectors on the door panels. You DO NOT have to remove the door panel to get to it. The reflector is held in by two tabs at the top and a spring steel clip at the bottom. Pry up from the bottom carefully to remove it and gain access to the rear tip-in adjustment screw. Check to see if it is tight, back off the lock nut (10 mm) and turn adjusting threaded rod (4 mm hex head) ccw to increase tip-in, cw to decrease. No need to hold the 18mm window regulator pulley inside the door.

The rubber grommet under the door at the rear gives access to the aforementioned 18mm, and a height adjuster (with the window rolled down).

Front tip-in and height adjustment is under the rubber grommet at the front. Similar to the rear, but entire assembly slides transversely with the body of the car. You'll see the slot and see what I am trying to say in words. Check it to see if it's tight.

Go easy on the adjustments if that is what it needs and plan on making more the one attemp to correct the problem. No problem if you go at it with some caution.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

Hey Dad,

Good advice I'll give it a shot tomorrow night. Don't have time tonight. I.m ok at doing some mechanical work but I've never liked removing door panels. This is what I was looking for.

I'll write back as soon as I try it. I hope it works, it'll make my day

C5 window

To remove doorpanel there is a hard plastic cover behind the door pull that needs to be popped out. Pust a screwdriver from the bottom of the cover in the middle there is one clip and then one in each corner. They may break. Remove two screws and pull the bottom of the panel out, feeling for the clips and prying out - gently. Lift the panel upward. See what you can see.

Or, call one of the mobile window repair companies. Auto trim shops also may do this work and auto glass businesses.

You might check to see if the bottom bolt of the regulator is backed out, it happened to me.

You might check to see if the bottom bolt of the regulator is backed out, it happened to me.

I'll take a look, thanks. I'm still out of the state and should be able to get to it this weekend.

Thanks for all the help!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom