Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drivetrain "growl" when pulling away in 1st gear

Torch-Red-Z06

Corvette
2017 Torch Red Z06
All,

Forgive me for posting on multiple sites for those of you that may notice that. ; )

I have what sounds like a bearing (throwout???) going bad. The noise that is heard at the times shown below create a very slight vibration in the shifter.

It occurs randomly but I'm gathering data each time it happens to see if there is a common thread. Today it happened multiple times on the way to work. Normally its like once a week. Or in the case of a recent vacation only once in 3 weeks (3500 miles).

Luckily I have the video and can now show it to the dealer as we couldn't replicate it.

Any thoughts / experience out there?

YouTube

Times: ~0:19, 3:45, 6:15, 6:56

Last edited:
Torque Tube

What it sounds like is a problem I have had with my last 2 2017 Grand Sports.; Torque tube bearings failing. The first one I had went bad 5 times in 6 months.; This one lasted a whole year before it went south. It is in the shop right now. Hoping to get it back on Monday.
All,

Forgive me for posting on multiple sites for those of you that may notice that. ; )

I have what sounds like a bearing (throwout???) going bad. The noise that is heard at the times shown below create a very slight vibration in the shifter.

It occurs randomly but I'm gathering data each time it happens to see if there is a common thread. Today it happened multiple times on the way to work. Normally its like once a week. Or in the case of a recent vacation only once in 3 weeks (3500 miles).

Luckily I have the video and can now show it to the dealer as we couldn't replicate it.

Any thoughts / experience out there?

YouTube

Times: ~0:19, 3:45, 6:15, 6:56

What it sounds like is a problem I have had with my last 2 2017 Grand Sports.; Torque tube bearings failing. The first one I had went bad 5 times in 6 months.; This one lasted a whole year before it went south. It is in the shop right now. Hoping to get it back on Monday.

Wow! I can't believe you've been plagued with a problem like that. Did the noise happen every now and then or more and more often?

Since you are having torque tube bearing issues is yours an M7 or A8?

Torque Tube

Wow! I can't believe you've been plagued with a problem like that. Did the noise happen every now and then or more and more often?

Since you are having torque tube bearing issues is yours an M7 or A8?

The first one was an A8 and I swore I would never own an automatic Vette again. This one is an M7. I guess it doesn't matter when it comes to my problems. I don't know if it is a supply problem or what. This is my 12th Vette in the last 25 years and although I still wouldn't drive anything else it is extremely frustrating.

The first one was an A8 and I swore I would never own an automatic Vette again. This one is an M7. I guess it doesn't matter when it comes to my problems. I don't know if it is a supply problem or what. This is my 12th Vette in the last 25 years and although I still wouldn't drive anything else it is extremely frustrating.

Thanks for the info and sorry for your luck.

This is good information for us other unfortunate individuals. Do you happen to have any info on exactly what repair(s) they did on your previous car or the current one, i.e. the paperwork from the dealer? I'm trying to zoom-in on the exact cause and fix according to your dealer. Any more details you can provide is greatly appreciated.

All the paperwork says the same thing. Replaced torque tube.

All the paperwork says the same thing. Replaced torque tube.
:W I guess that is better than them trying to replace bearings in the assembly. I've had to disassemble the torque tubee (on my C5) and it was NOT fun. Once again, sorry for your troubles but thanks for the info.

Turned out to be a failed clutch pilot bearing. It took out the torque tube input shaft surface finish which resulted in a full torque tube replacement (tube isn't dealer serviceable apparently).

Just got it back after 4 weeks. Also had the diff replaced for another issue and it rained quite a bit and the dealer won't drive the car in the rain. : )

Hope it is all fixed now.
good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom