Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

driveway queen

65-to-00

As soon as the weather warms I'll be trying to start my friends Triump TR-6. He has had the car since new in college in the 70's and for the past six years it has been sitting in his driveway under a cover.

I figure that the number one priority would be to siphon off the old fuel and then disconnect a fitting to pump fresh fuel at least up to the pump.

Hit the carbs with a cleaner.

Remove the plugs and hit the top side of the cylinders with a penetrating oil.

Any ideas as to what kind of penetrating oil? I figured that letting it sit for a month can't hurt.

Change of all fluids assuming the beast starts but being English I'm not real optimistic. The usual electrical connectors and corrosion are in the back of my mind.

What am I missing? I have a battery I can take over along with one of those emergency booster packs.

Thanks ... even what small animals that may be needed for Druid sacrifice :bowrofl

As soon as the weather warms I'll be trying to start my friends Triump TR-6. He has had the car since new in college in the 70's and for the past six years it has been sitting in his driveway under a cover.

I figure that the number one priority would be to siphon off the old fuel and then disconnect a fitting to pump fresh fuel at least up to the pump.

Hit the carbs with a cleaner.

Remove the plugs and hit the top side of the cylinders with a penetrating oil.

Any ideas as to what kind of penetrating oil? I figured that letting it sit for a month can't hurt.

Change of all fluids assuming the beast starts but being English I'm not real optimistic. The usual electrical connectors and corrosion are in the back of my mind.

What am I missing? I have a battery I can take over along with one of those emergency booster packs.

Thanks ... even what small animals that may be needed for Druid sacrifice :bowrofl
65 to 00, I think I would use Marvel Mystery Oil. Since it's designed to be added to the oil, it ain't gonna hurt anything in there. I think that I would also try a socket/breaker bar on the crankshaft nut to try to turn it over by hand before you light off the starter. If it's bound up you will know it real quick. If it isn't and the starter won't turn it over then maybe the starter is bad. Turning it over by hand will also help to distribute the Marvel Mystery Oil as well. Anyway.....good luck with it, and for your own mental health.......get a wiring diagram because I feel sure that you're gonna have some fun there!
Andy
:w

Marvel Mystery it will be ..... and besides ..... I have always wanted an excuse to buy a can of that stuff.

Marvel is probably older than we are ... :)

Thanks again! :pat Be nice to the Navy; you may need a ride home.

Yep, Marvel Mystery Oil is the right choice. In 1994, I scored a '62 Harley Panhead that had been stored (indoors) since 1971. Yep, 23 years. I pulled the plugs, and put a capful of MMO in each cylinder and let it set overnight. Next day, after draining and refilling the oil bag, I kicked the engine through a couple of cycles. Two more caps of oil and another sit. Next morning, fresh gasoline, new battery. 3 kicks and she fired, 5th kick I am riding it. :D
I still have it, and it's not for sale (27,300 miles). Call it my IRA. ;)
Rick
:gap

The SU carbs will need a proper strip down and cleaning otherwise the pots will leak so much gas that it will be a fire hazard if the Lucas electrics actually make a spark.

After turning the motor over by hand I would pull out the plugs and spin it with the starter until it shows good oil pressure so that all of the galleries are full of oil and the big end, cam and rockers will be pre lubricated before you try for a start.

You should probably replace the sparkplug wires as well. They were pretty much junk when they were new.

Have fun and drink warm beer to get into the proper mind-set.:w

Gentleman, all of the above instrutions will be followed; with the exception of one.

I would rather commit ritual seppuku in front of my dishonored family than drink warm beer.

There is only one exception regarding the consumption of warm beer and that must be strictly followed! In the absence of cold beer, a warm beer may be consumed; while awaiting the cooling of "the beer", in the interim, cooler be may be consumed in progressive fashion.

:beer

" I only drink twice a year! When the circus is in town and, when it's outa' town!"

:drink

In the last few years (since the EEC and they could buy refrigeration that works) the British have started drinking cold beer. In the pubs they call it ¨extra cold¨ and charge about $0.50 a pint more to offset the cost of colling it. :beer

I am not making this up. Ask some of our Brit members.
:w

Thank You!!!! I am going to get some great mileage out of this. Lucas refrigeration ... this couldn't have come at a better time.

;LOL :) :L one of me "UK chums" .... will be frothing and it wont be beer suds! :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom