Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driving That C5 In The Snow?

Well, I intended to post this picture on October 29th when it happened but I got distracted. This was the scene when I left for lunch. In October!

d9c2c58136984be69dd0a8b6faf4c488.jpg

I drove my car all last winter and had no real issues. Last November I had just put on a new set of Eagle GS-D3's and they worked very well in the snow despite being a high performance summer tire. But given that last winter was pretty mild in the Philadelphia area I made out well. I have a feeling that this winter isn't going to be a good one at all and I'll spend less time in the Vette and more time in the wife's Grand Cherokee. That is, unless I have to get a winter beater of my own. So far, the Vette does well.

Leon

Geez...I hope you guys are careful during those "big" NC snow stroms :L
Remo:cool

Careful! Thems fightin' words here in the south. Plus, 8 or 9 years ago we got twenty inches dumped on Raleigh in one day. Needless to say the city didn't handle it well, but we do get snow.

s'noJob

If you think that's something, check the link below. This ice storm left motorists stranded in their car for hours, caused 8 hour delays to drive ten miles, and left thousands of kids stuck at school overnight because the busses couldn't run.

Raleigh Thrown in Tizzy by Inch of Snow - Oddities - redOrbit

s'noJob

No matter how deep the snow gets in Maine and New Hampshire my car comes out.

Thats because it's in Orlando :D

That's right ,I store it at Conway Self Storage near the Orlando airport.So when a big storm hits the Northeast I buy a plane ticket .Hop in the car and head anywhere I want includeing Key West :D

There's a bird hereabouts that drives his Corvette (5 I think) year round PLUS it has a trailer hitch on it and he pulls one frequently.

Some people's children. ;LOL

Jim

Perhaps He Over Corrected

Hey gang,

Remember this one from last year? Another guy who thought he could drive his C5 in the snow.:L

1207071538fr1.jpg

Well, I intended to post this picture on October 29th when it happened but I got distracted. This was the scene when I left for lunch. In October!

I drove my car all last winter and had no real issues. Last November I had just put on a new set of Eagle GS-D3's and they worked very well in the snow despite being a high performance summer tire. But given that last winter was pretty mild in the Philadelphia area I made out well. I have a feeling that this winter isn't going to be a good one at all and I'll spend less time in the Vette and more time in the wife's Grand Cherokee. That is, unless I have to get a winter beater of my own. So far, the Vette does well.

Leon[/quote

I remember that day. People were pissing and moaning like it was a blizzard in Philly. I never take mine out in snow/salt or rain. I 've got a suv and a truck. I hate clean ups. BTW where in Philly are you?

Leon[/quote

I remember that day. People were pissing and moaning like it was a blizzard in Philly. I never take mine out in snow/salt or rain. I 've got a suv and a truck. I hate clean ups. BTW where in Philly are you?

I agree, I just don't like taking mine out in the salt and cinders and AS%^$# inexperienced idiot drivers who could care les if the ram you in the back cause they have no depth perception. These same people have trouble just driving on dry roads much less snow covered roads ! And yes, I got hit last year by one of these idiots.:confused

I live in the Queen Village section of Philadelphia and work in Horsham. The photo was taken in Horsham. I don't think any real flakes fell in Philly itself.

And I'll drive the car as much as I can. It's not a garage queen by any means and has over 141k miles on it. I'm not worried about the salt on a fiberglass car. I've been very surprised by the car in the weather up here. A testament to the engineers at GM.

I honestly wouldnt mind driving it in the snow but i just dont wanna get salt all over it. Ive driven this car through the snow before and if you know how to drive it handles like any rear wheel drive car in the snow. The big thing with the vettes are the tires. The rear end is light and you definetly need some kind of tread on the tires.

I don't intentionally drive my Vette in the snow, but did get caught in snow flurries today here in North Alabama!!

Call A Cab

Now here's a guy who also thought he was an accomplished driver.
It took four of us to help him get his C5 out of the parking lot. Once
out on the street he could go on and risk his and his date's life on the
ride home.

2935190300103361744S600x600Q85.jpg

Remo,

I’ve been so busy that I missed the annual beginning of the “Drive your C5 in the Snow Thread”!

I can now say its officially winter after seeing the thread that has become a CAC tradition.

Stay warm up there!
B17Crew
:w

I used to drive my C-4 in the winter and a few times in the snow. Big Mistake, car handled so bad it could be considered no handling. So when I got my C-5 I swore to NEVER drinve it in the snow. If I need to drive, I'll wait till the roads are dry. or use my wifes jeep.
I'm with you on not trying to drive in the snow. My C4 was a daily driver and I got caught a few times at work when it snowed. It was a very stressful drive home. I keep the C5 in the garage and let it out on dry days only.

That is enough to scare the @#$%^&* out of me. I have driven mine in the snow (to get home from work) a few times, and it is a terrible car to drive in the snow.

For Christ's sake, it's the tires that are terrible, not the car. My son has a Subie WRX, originally all he had were the summer only rubber. His car was scary in the rain, not to mention how impossible it was to drive with even a light dusting of snow. I gave him a set of mud & snow's last year for xmas and now nothing short of an avalanche can stop him.

Same goes for my '04 coupe. I put some Goodyear EMT M&S's on her for the winter and unless the snow is over 4" (in which case I'm plowing, not driving), I've never had an issue getting around in the white stuff.

tirecloseup.jpg

C5's In The Snow....Breaking News

I gave him a set of mud & snow's last year for xmas and now nothing short of an avalanche can stop him.

Same goes for my '04 coupe. I put some Goodyear EMT M&S's on her for the winter and unless the snow is over 4" (in which case I'm plowing, not driving), I've never had an issue getting around in the white stuff.

Preacher - don't let something like four or more inches of snow slow you down. Put a set of these on it and I'm sure it will out handle even the best of the 4x4's.:L

krawler-t-a-kx.jpg

For Christ's sake, it's the tires that are terrible, not the car. My son has a Subie WRX, originally all he had were the summer only rubber. His car was scary in the rain, not to mention how impossible it was to drive with even a light dusting of snow. I gave him a set of mud & snow's last year for xmas and now nothing short of an avalanche can stop him.

I think that you are mostly correct here; the tires are the biggest problem. However, the width of the tires, the relatively light weight of the Corvette, and the large amount of torque all work against you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom