Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drooping Exhaust Extension on '66 Vert

Ron Miller

Corvette
'66 Auto Mosport Conv, '65 Nass Blue 4-sp Air Cpe
This isn't the best picture in the world, but you will notice that there is a pronounced slope downward in the driver's side exhaust extension when compared to the passenger's side. The passenger's side is about correct. Note also that the mufflers both are identically mounted as nearly as possible, so the difference in the two extensions must be in the bend angle from the rear of the muffler, although I haven't gotten beneath the car and measured in order to compare the two.

%2766%20Drooping%20Exhaust.JPG

This is a complete exhaust system from Corvette Central, just installed, and I haven't yet contacted the folks to see if they have had previous complaints in this regard. The system is also supposed to be lifetime guaranteed (just return the old part, I assume, haven't got into that yet), was the primary reason I bought it from CC. Tlhey've always been a pretty good source in the past.

Before I contact CC, wanted to see if anyone else here had experienced similar problems. Any input? The driver's side exhaust extension is pulled upward as much as possible, still has a siginficant downward slope to it. It is much more noticeable when seeing both extensions together from a side view, but don't have a good photo of that yet.

Comments appreciated, I'm also going to post this on the "other" forum. Thanks!!:)

Ron who installed the system ?

For sure from the photos I can see the driverside muffler is rotated differently from the passenger side.

I have installed plenty of restoration exchaust sytems on cars (mostly mustangs) and normally when I thought it was defective I just went back and re aligned every thing.A little rotation here or there really makes for a perfect installation.

By the way my car has side pipes

but I always think its cool to see those pipes pipes sticking out the rear of the car,or puffing smoke between gears if I am following some one to cruise or an event

IH2LOSE said:
For sure from the photos I can see the driverside muffler is rotated differently from the passenger side.
That's what my guess would be as well....if it's a bent tube small differences in position matter. But....as revving up the engine results in the whole engine moving rightward...the right exgaust should even sit slightly higher that the left in order to avoid the tube cloinking against the frame...

Locally installed, but don't believe there's enough difference in the two to account for the difference. However, I'll get it back on the rack Monday morning to make sure that's not the case! Thanks for the input!!
Ron

Ron,
Shouldn't be a big deal for your installer to remove the muffler heat the exit pipe with a torch and adjust it to where it should be. I've done this several times with good success. My experience is that these pipes are seldom perfect. Good luck.

studiog said:
Ron,
Shouldn't be a big deal for your installer to remove the muffler heat the exit pipe with a torch and adjust it to where it should be. I've done this several times with good success. My experience is that these pipes are seldom perfect. Good luck.
Thanks for the input, if it turns out to be at the wrong angle, that's probably what I'll need to do!
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom