Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drove Neighbor's Car

85vette

Corvette
85 Z51 L98 4+3 Coupe
A bit about the car that I got to drive:
My neighbor bought a new vette for his grandson as soon as he was born in 1991, and he plans to give it to the grandson when he turns 21.
I have never seen anyone drive the car prior to today--it has 2270 miles on it.
He has been interested in me working on my cars and said we should take his out for a drive so today we did.
Needless to say it drives like a new car.
DSCN0921.jpg

Does it still have that new car smell to it?

How has he taken care of it for these many years?

He's going to be one very happy kid and a lucky one at that. I wish my grandpa would of done something like that, but wouldn't anyone else? :L
Actually my dad was supposed to restore and get his 67 RS/SS Camaro running so I could drive it when I turned 16. I'm 17 now so that fell through, but maybe he will find me a vette instead. :upthumbs

How :cool is that!

Hey paulie I'd take that RS SS :eek That car is worth a small fortune, you should count your blessings.

I wouldn't forget about the Camaro, I just really want a Corvette. When the time is right and we have the money and space to do it, the Camaro would get a frame off. The Corvette would be something to keep my busy until it's time for the restoration. I'd be happy just to rebuild the 396 and get the project rolling :bu

an RS/SS with a 396? man it can't get any better than that. :drool:4 speed too ?

:w

My grandpa died long years before I was born. Wish I was in the shoes of the lucky kid :)

85vette said:

I have to admit that the car looks beautiful in the photo. I noticed that the headlights are flipped up. Were they on or does car have headlight motor issues?

Remo:cool

That’s one lucky grandson, 21 won’t come soon enough!

Smart thinking by the grandfather! What better way to get a new Corvette than to say it’s earmarked for the grandson. ;)

With a little over 2,000 miles on the odo, seems your neighbor has been able to resist the temptation of a beautiful Corvette convertible.

B17Crew

Remo said:
I have to admit that the car looks beautiful in the photo. I noticed that the headlights are flipped up. Were they on or does car have headlight motor issues?

Remo:cool

I think the lights are on, look at the rear park lamp.

Brett

Wow that is awesome!! He must be the only grandchild. That is just too cool!! The parents need another grandchild now that the C6 is out!!!

Jim

1. Headlights must have been on when he backed out of the garage because they were down when I drove it.

2. He has two more grandchildren now and the parents of those are wondering why he hasn't bought any more cars.

3. I don't know what he does to maintain it--he said he changes the oil (Mobil 1) before he stores it each winter, but I would think some of the parts wouldn't do so well with lack of use.

4. No new car smell.

DSCN0922.jpg

G Winter said:
an RS/SS with a 396? man it can't get any better than that. :drool:4 speed too ?

No, it came with the TH-400. The 396 and tranny aren't in the car because the engine was giving my dad trouble point in being that the original owner raced it kinda hard on the weekends and had a peformance cam in it that later rounded off. So it's sitting with a 327 mated to a 4 speed in it currently. The plan is to put the original engine and tranny back in. I wouldn't mind putting that 327 in my firebird :upthumbs My dad showed me a few pictures of the car before he put it away and man did it look pretty. That turqouise color with the balck stripe in front and a black vinyl top with shiny Crager's :drool:

Wow

Now thats a sweet ride...My grandson wouldnt mind having mine some day..he's 13 and would love it in 3 years but the insurance would be awful...More likely he'll get my wifes 99 Galant ...she'll be ready for new wheel by then... My first car was my grandads '56 Buick Super Hardtop...big ole boat but a great ride. Zip off the line but hell on wheels from 35 up :).
Papa:w

Let's hope the little guy wants it.... My 12 year old would rather have a Honda than have the Vette. :( Kids these days.... and my oldest one won't even drive the Vette. Where did I go wrong?????

Maybe the oldest is afraid of hurting your baby ?? Just tell him you will buy him an early C4 of his own if he wants to drive one and see if that changes his tune.

Glenn

G Winter said:
Maybe the oldest is afraid of hurting your baby ?? Just tell him you will buy him an early C4 of his own if he wants to drive one and see if that changes his tune.

Glenn

Well, you may be right there. He knows how I feel. He'll take my truck, but not the Vette. I guess he doesn't want to see Dad cry if something happens. LOL
Now the younger one is a whole `nother story. I think he' s just being rebellious. He says all Chevrolet's are junk. Man, he really knows how to hurt dear ol' Dad. :(

Mike Zarnock said:
Now the younger one is a whole `nother story. I think he' s just being rebellious. He says all Chevrolet's are junk. Man, he really knows how to hurt dear ol' Dad. :(

We're all not young enough yet to know it all.

If that puppy hasn't been run in all those years I would think fluid leaks would not be far off (especially water pump). Sure hope not but I've experienced that before. Make sure someone check's the rubber before the thing is driven too fast. I can't image the tires being in real good shape at this point, even if they look okay.

Mike Zarnock said:
Let's hope the little guy wants it.... My 12 year old would rather have a Honda than have the Vette. :( Kids these days.... and my oldest one won't even drive the Vette. Where did I go wrong?????

My 20-year-old looks at my car and says, "That's nice".

67HEAVEN-Wilson-Niblett01-600.jpg

He has no interest in driving. He walks or takes the bus around town. I don't get it. :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom