Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dumb, painful and funny

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I wanted to close up a few of the gaps in the welding in the frame (in between the stitch welds on the C1) and really got my crappy welder going good......I almost always work in the garage in shorts and a t-shirt.....does anyone see where this is going....no I didn't get hit with any hot welding sparks......but I did get burned on the inside of both thighs and my left arm (I am left handed).......I got SUN BURNED from the arc.....woke me up in the middle of the dog gone night...inside of my thighs (both of them) are lobster colored as is my left arm...of course the sun burns are on the portions of my body that never really get sun burned.....oh well....live and learn....I hope I gave you a chuckle....in between grimaces, I know I am chuckling....

It gives you a healthy glow. I have to post a picture of 2 nice scars I have from welding on the 62, One from leaning on a peice of steel i had cut off the car, And another from a hot spark that melted thru my sneaker and burned the top of my foot.

Always wear your helmit even if you're only tacking something.

The last thing you want is to meet with the sand man at 2 am in the morning.

Anybody whos met the sand man knows what i am talking about. You burn your eyes and dont feel any real pain till 2 am it awakes you and feels like some one thru sand in your eyes.

Never weld in flannel,never weld with cut off jeans.

A quick spark with light you off

IH2LOSE said:
It gives you a healthy glow. I have to post a picture of 2 nice scars I have from welding on the 62, One from leaning on a peice of steel i had cut off the car, And another from a hot spark that melted thru my sneaker and burned the top of my foot.

Always where your helmit even if your only tacking something.

Anybody whos met the sand man knows what i am talking about. You burn your eyes and dont feel any real pain till 2 am it awakes you and feels like some one thru sand in your eyes.

Never weld in flannel,never weld with cut off jeans.

A quick spark with light you off
this is probably bad...but don't even have the helmet...got the hold in your hand mask that I use.....but I am careful about not getting flashed in the eyes....I know that is BAD.....

No Joke

I sympathize with you, as a young boy, I was watching the guy in the local gas station do some welding having never been told "not to watch". I've since seen some serious results from welding, cutting torches etc. Get yourself a good welding hood, if you use it twice a year, you only have one pair of eyes. Wear the right clothes and get a set of welding gloves. I hate to sound like "Safety Sam" here, but there's a right tool for the job and in this case, it's to protect you and your body parts.;)

Ouch firstgear I agree with the safety issues posted hear and feel for you. Lets just say that when I was younger and had one to many , I fell asleep on Virginia Beach and when I awakened, need I say lobster.

But now (remember there is always a but) I want to know when you will post a pic of the burn, you know like the old Coppertone ads, naaay I just had a mental image of that, lets pass. ;):rotfl

Get one of those new "instant on" types I caught one on sale at harbor freight for around $60 good enough for the occasional welder.
I have a few scars myself :L but didn't know about flannel shirts, I have a "heat coat" that I wear most of the time and "Mig gloves"

OH YEAH. BTDT.

Musta' been two years or so ago. Did the same thing in the middle of winter. The first day back to work, everybody complimented me on my off-season tan. The second day to work, everybody asked me where I got the lizard skin from ;squint:

Rowdy1 said:
I sympathize with you, as a young boy, I was watching the guy in the local gas station do some welding having never been told "not to watch". I've since seen some serious results from welding, cutting torches etc. Get yourself a good welding hood, if you use it twice a year, you only have one pair of eyes. Wear the right clothes and get a set of welding gloves. I hate to sound like "Safety Sam" here, but there's a right tool for the job and in this case, it's to protect you and your body parts.;)
While I don't have welding gloves, I do use gloves to work on the car and I use them....they have leather on the inside....I have picked up a welding rod before and not felt it but the gloves started smoking....and of course there was the time I dropped a welding rod on my air line and next thing I know I smell something...well....that air line is not 3 feet shorter....

Kid_Again said:
OH YEAH. BTDT.

Musta' been two years or so ago. Did the same thing in the middle of winter. The first day back to work, everybody complimented me on my off-season tan. The second day to work, everybody asked me where I got the lizard skin from ;squint:
yup......my inside thighs are smarting today....I suppose they will be that way for a few days....hope that I am ok to go on Saturday....I have plans for the frame and such.....and it doesn't include smarting all the time from the "sun burn".....by the way...BTDT??? sorry don't know that one....

bossvette said:
Get one of those new "instant on" types I caught one on sale at harbor freight for around $60 good enough for the occasional welder.
I have a few scars myself :L but didn't know about flannel shirts, I have a "heat coat" that I wear most of the time and "Mig gloves"
I have looked at the instant on...that would certainly be better than the "mask" type that you hold with you other hand....but it works for me...and I am very careful about weld flash for my eyes....and now I will be a lot more careful when I am welding to have the right long sleeve shirt on as well as some long pants on......when I am welding, my welder does not throw off lots of sparks....which is why I won't rely on it for structural welds. At the fab shop, the guy doing the welding on my frame was using a MIG welder that was 480 volts and he said they have no problem welding up to 1 inch thick steel with it.....WOW....now that is some power!!!

Pseudomind said:
Ouch firstgear I agree with the safety issues posted hear and feel for you. Lets just say that when I was younger and had one to many , I fell asleep on Virginia Beach and when I awakened, need I say lobster.

But now (remember there is always a but) I want to know when you will post a pic of the burn, you know like the old Coppertone ads, naaay I just had a mental image of that, lets pass. ;):rotfl
I would post, but I would get kicked off the site for posting ugly things.......haha:L

It Means

Been There Done That.............. BTDT:upthumbs

yup, sorry about the abbreviation BTDT

440 volts....Hmmm....Yeah, I could do that....already have 220 in the garage, need to talk to an electrician about how to do that....heck, i could use a LONG rod, sitting in the Barca Lounger in the living room while welding a frame in the garage....GOOD IDEA:drool:

WHY didn't i think of that :hb ....where's VNV when you need him???

Being a certified welder for many years ,i can say i've done everything wrong at one time or another. As a matter of fact life in general has been that way for me.It hasn't been boring.

...of the many things that my father could do, the best skill of all was as a welder...learned it in the navy, then he worked for a dairy (sealtest) where they made him go inside the big tanks and weld the steam jackets from the inside..he never had a lung problem, why i'll never know

...i clearly remember him using ANY kind of welder, making a puddle and welding anything to anything...me? -> i find that if i make it hot enough and add enough metal, it'll hold :eyerole

...it's a great skill to have

Why Does This...........

Kid_Again said:
yup, sorry about the abbreviation BTDT

440 volts....Hmmm....Yeah, I could do that....already have 220 in the garage, need to talk to an electrician about how to do that....heck, i could use a LONG rod, sitting in the Barca Lounger in the living room while welding a frame in the garage....GOOD IDEA:drool:

WHY didn't i think of that :hb ....where's VNV when you need him???

Instantly remind me of the TV show "Tool Time" with "Tim The Tool Man Taylor!!!"?:rotfl

One of the more common burns I get is on the throat. If you don't wear a buttoned up high collar or a throat protector the rays go under the front of the helmet and get you where it hurts.

You can tell guys who weld a lot and don't wear protection cause they look like a prune with a tan.

Come to think of it I have seen women who loved to suntan all the time in their youth that look that way too. :)

IH2LOSE said:
I learned this lesson very early on... while trying to repair a buddy's bicycle when I was 12. I had the welder set a bit hot and was struggling with the helmet so I set it aside and finished the job. It wasn't much fun.

-Mac

Mac said:
I learned this lesson very early on... while trying to repair a buddy's bicycle when I was 12. I had the welder set a bit hot and was struggling with the helmet so I set it aside and finished the job. It wasn't much fun.

-Mac
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firstgear said:
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My buddy was happy his bike was fixed. My dad wasn't happy I used his welder without supervision. No permanent damage to my eyes- just one very uncomfortable night.

Learning curve test: I never made that mistake again so I guess I passed. :L

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom