Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dumb Question regarding 79-82 Seats

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
I've got a dumb question for you...

I just bought a set of 79-82 style Corvette seats from a local junkyard. I'm updating the seats in my 71 because I liked this style seat a lot when I had my 78 Pacecar.

What I can't remember from the old car or figure out with the new seats is how to release the seat backs so they fold forward or lock in the up position.

I can't remember if there was a button or lever or some other trick. The set of seats I purchased don't have any levers on the seat backs. One seat is locked in the up position and the other seat won't lock in the up position.

What's the secret? Am I missing a lever or is there a trick? :confused

Thanks. :upthumbs

Whiplash

There is no lever at all. What there is is an inertial lock. It swings forward when the car stops quickly and keeps items in the rear compartment from crashing the seats forward. Perhaps the lock is jammed or a bit rusted. Otherwise, the seats fold freely.

I owned a '78 Pace Car too. It was my first Corvette.

I've had the lock engage at least once and get stuck. Good old fashioned jiggling convinced it to resume normal operation.

Do the later seats bolt right in to the early C3's?

There is no lever at all. What there is is an inertial lock. It swings forward when the car stops quickly and keeps items in the rear compartment from crashing the seats forward. Perhaps the lock is jammed or a bit rusted. Otherwise, the seats fold freely.

I owned a '78 Pace Car too. It was my first Corvette.

Thanks! I'll pull the hinges apart and clean them up.

My 78 was my first Vette too. I wish I could track it down and buy it back but it's been gone for so many years I doubt I'll ever see it again.

I believe the seats are a direct bolt in. I replaced the seats in my 77 with pace car seats. The only comment is that the squab appearsto be thicker on the later seats which means you sit an inch or two higher thus robbing you of some precious headroom.
Enjoy your new found comfort.

Cheers

Richard

I've had the lock engage at least once and get stuck. Good old fashioned jiggling convinced it to resume normal operation.

Do the later seats bolt right in to the early C3's?

They should bolt in pretty close. The rear bolt holes are offset so I'll have to mock something up. I like the style better than the solid backs in my 71 now.

The seats in my 82 are very comfortable. I think they feel a lot better than the ones in my 69.

...I believe the seats are a direct bolt in....

If memory serves, you have to use the 68-78 seat tracks to mount the split back buckets in earlier cars. The 81-82 power driver's seat won't fit the earlier cars because the floor pan doesn't have the necessary bump out for the seat motor.

:)

If memory serves, you have to use the 68-78 seat tracks to mount the split back buckets in earlier cars. The 81-82 power driver's seat won't fit the earlier cars because the floor pan doesn't have the necessary bump out for the seat motor.

:)

The set I bought is manual for both seats. We'll see in a few days how they fit. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom