Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dyno test of 2005 engine

motorman

Corvette
2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
i watched a dyno test of the 2005 corvette engine and the HP level was north of the 400 mark. the new engine will have things like full floating wrist pins for less friction.

Yup. I've heard that the base engine will be known as the "LS2" and the future Z06 engine will be known as "LS7".

This past weekend I was talking to the owner of a local Chevy dealship. He and about 200 other dealers throughout the country were recently invited to a preview showing of the new C6. GM trucked the C6 in, did the showing, boxed it up, and then immediately sent it back home - wherever home may be. Obviously, no cameras were allowed.

He's seen it first hand and said that GM did a great job comouflaging the cars we've all seen in various spyshots. Other than the frame the C6 is a completely different car than the Cadillac XLR. In comparison to the C5 it has a higher body line which makes the car look closer to the ground than it actually is. He also said that the C6 will be have 435HP and one year later GM will roll out the Z06 version with over 500HP. That was about the extent of technical details that GM disclosed to these dealers.

I guess take this information with a grain of salt...

motorman said:
i watched a dyno test of the 2005 corvette engine and the HP level was north of the 400 mark. the new engine will have things like full floating wrist pins for less friction.

Sorry, but what are full floating wrist pins???

Another dumb question... Was that horsepower at the crank, wheels, or what?

Thanks,

Greg

Full floating wrist pins are when part that connects the piston to the connecting rod is not pressed into the piston, but slides in and has snaprings holding it in place, so it is "Floating".

Chrysler had it in the 60s and 70s , its another reincarnation of old tech making a comeback, like sodium filled valves. (Ford, 60s)

that was engine HP at the crank and floating wrist pins means that the pin is not a press fit in the rod but "floats" in the rod and piston both and is held in by retainers in the piston pin bore.

i was not privy to that info.

Could you get 500 naturally aspirated hp out of a 350?

I would imagine that GM would have to up the displacement in order to achiever those hp expectations right?

NASCAR motors are 358 CI and have 750+ HP through a carb. About as natural as it gets. I wouldn't want to drive one on the street though.

Plus the new C6 motor is 6.0 liters or about 366 CI.

All 427 L88`s 67-69 also had full floating rods and hard chromed on the pin end with the 12.5 forged pistions. The early L88`s used 3/8 rod bolts and the later ones used 7/16`s.:m

fourjohn said:
He's seen it first hand and said that GM did a great job comouflaging the cars we've all seen in various spyshots.
That is exactly what I have been saying all along. That is 100% true and should be emphasized as much as possible. I believe you. What is the dealership's name and location by the way. II just wanted to know if it wasn't some kinda MEGADEALERSHIP or something like that. I'm thinking about askinng a couple dealers near me and see if they went to the same C6 showing. . .

p.s: The HP is @ the Rear wheels. There is a difference between Gross Horsepower and Net Horsepower.

The LS1 Vettes, which are rated at 345-350 hp, but the rear-wheel horsepower is usually around 300-310. The old F-body Ram Air Trans Ams with those engines rated at 320-325 hp dyno at 300 RWHP. Those RWHP numbers are from some hot rod mag that I read about 2 years ago. I'll try to find some links...

budweisert said:
What is the dealership's name and location by the way. II just wanted to know if it wasn't some kinda MEGADEALERSHIP or something like that.

It was an Ernie Von Schledorn dealership. They are pretty huge in South Eastern Wisconsin and have been around for years. I was talking to Ernie's son Eric actually.

Interesting info guys! Thanks:beer

I heard the the C6 LS2 might have varible valve timing as well as some other modern elements for the LS2. This would be interesting if it were true.

Dan,

I've also heard the new Corvette motor will get a simplified variable valve timing that gives 90% of the improvement of the much more expensive systems at probably 20% of the cost..(numbers may be off on costing as my memory is failing..it could be less than 20% of the cost of more complicated systems)

Three valve per cylinder are a possiblity as well.

425? as a base motor?

with the new ford truck engine a 3 valve and since the corvette engine is chevy truck based it makes sense it will have 3 valve head to make sure that ford does not have a advertisment advantage

No VVTi because it was said to diminish the exhaust note. Same w/ DOD.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom