Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: E3 spark plugs

apbreg

Corvette
1995 Convertible
Are the E3 spark plugs worth it? I've read product reviews that are both very positive and very negative and I was wondering what the Corvette world's collective experience has been.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. IMO, a decent plug will work without all the fancy stuff. Can you index your plugs? Sure. If you are racing for a $300K purse, you bet. Will it make the difference in a street DD? I doubt it.

What I have gathered from others about plugs is save your money buy the stock AC delco brand.

NGK isn't bad.

The E3 plug is relatively new to the market. I don't think there is much collective experience with that product.

Personally, I've never used them and never would.

The spark plug market is a place where snake oil and smoke & mirrors abound. For some reason, many people loose common sense when they look at those cylindrical white and silver devices.

"Fire Injector", "Split Fire", "E3", "Platinum Plus 4" and so forth...all marketing–some of it damn good marketing and some of it not so good. The ones not marketed well either become sales failures or end up in court.

My advice with spark plugs is stick to proven technology and look at what OE manufacturers use...I don't mean you must use OE replacement plugs–I'm talking about what general technology OE's use.

Back in the early '00s, GM was on the forefront of the move from double-platinum-tipped plugs to iridium tipped plugs and, initially, Denso was the supplier of those and it may still supply GM, now. They first showed up on Corvette about 02 or 03, as I remember.

About the same time, seeing what GM was doing, I researched Denso's aftermarket performance spark plug which uses some of that technology developed by OEs. Part of my study was reading an SAE Paper on Iridium tipped plugs which Denso engineers published about that time. As a result of my research, I tried Denso Iridium Power plugs in one of my Vettes. Now I have them in all my vehicles. The plug life has been oustanding...I've seen 50,000+ miles in a street high-performance duty cycle but I've not run them longer than that. I figure at 50K, I'll change them on GP. Plug performance has been excellent.

Since then, many of the major plug makers have brought out their own version of an iridium tipped plug.

E3?
Not.

I'll stick to my Densos. I use the IT20 in my C5, my 99 Blazer and my 02 Camaro. I use the IT22 in my 95 ZR-1. I use the ITF20 in my 71 Coupe and the IVT20 in my HHR. You'll note all those are one heat range colder than Denso's catalog recommendation and that's standard procedure for my cars which get run hard at times.

I had a set I bought for another car and ended up giving them away.
I'm trying to stay away from "Made in China" products.

Iridium tipped plug

Iridium tipped plugs.

I ran them in my 2 storke dirt bikes they say they last longer and can help make the engine fire up more easy and they dont fowl as easy when you middle on nowhewre thats very important I hate pushing my 220 Lb bike back home though the mud and up hills though sand washes to get back home, For some reason when you push the bike home it just took all the fun away LOL.

I also have them in My 2006 Dodge Ram truck mainly they last longer.

The big plus about Iridiun is you can go 10000 miles on the if you want to before you change plugs.

The Draw back about that is the threads carbon up and sometimes you cant get them out or you will screw up the thread on the heads getting them out.

I put them in my Truck mainly I will trade the truck in before I every change them again so I put plugs in so I cann do this next year if your going to buy a set of Iridium tip plugs the best deal I found is NGK brand best bang for the buck.

I had a set I bought for another car and ended up giving them away.
I'm trying to stay away from "Made in China" products.

Damn rights buy american.:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom