Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

E4ME Primary Throttle Shaft

Tim81

Corvette
81 Black on Black Corvette
Hi All,

I am currently rebuilding my E4ME Carb and noticed I do have some play in the primary throttle shaft. My question is how much play is too much? The play does not interfere with the primary butterfly operation. I am concern because the reason I'm doing the rebuild is because of a rough idle. As always thanks for your help.....Tim

The concept is that too much play on the shaft allows air to be sucked from around it, and create rough idle, stumble, and/or lean condition (in extreme cases). But the book does not say how much is allowed or not. But you will have to feel your way by educated guess. For example, to answer your question, on the throttle pate shafts, it should be were no lateral play (radially up or down against side of bore where the shaft rides), but it should be able to turn freely (rotate about its axis).

Here is what the book says concerning certain symptoms...:upthumbs

9D-5-1%2C%20page%2028.JPG

9D-5-1%2C%20page%2029.JPG

9D-5-1%2C%20page%2030.JPG

Gerry,

As always you are a weath of information, Thanks for taking the time to look this info up for me....Tim :beer

Gerry,

As always you are a weath of information, Thanks for taking the time to look this info up for me....Tim :beer

Tim,

No problem. Paying forward the help I've received before...:)

I did realize that the third image was a duplicate of the second one, so I corrected that. Now page 30 of the book is accurate (if at least for the visible portions).:L

Tim,

No problem. Paying forward the help I received before...:)

I did realized that the third image was a duplicate of the second one, so I corrected that. Now page 30 of the book is accurate (if at least for the visible portions).:L

Gerry,

As it turns out now I need a new T.P.S. I broke the acturator putting the air horn back on, the rebuild took care of the idle problem so thats is good. Pulling a code 21 now until I fix the T.P.S.

All play on the primairy shaft is to much. Now you can change it. :)
I also want to install secondary bushings but can't find any.
Good luck!

Greetings Peter

shaft bushings

Gents:
Cliff's Performance Carbs has a kit that includes the bit and bushings needed to eliminate the slop in the shaft. The kit is easy to use and will make a difference in how the motor runs. In my opinion, rebuilding the carb without installing new bushings is only a partial rebuild.

Update: The new TPS sensor arrived today so I carefully installed it and adjusted the voltage to .56. Ran the car awhile to let it warm up and adjusted the M/C Dwell just so the needle floats around 30 degrees. The car runs and idles very well, so the rebuilt motor and carb seem to be very happy and that makes me happy. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice......Tim:happyanim:

Glad you got it working -- 81's still working on the computer are becoming a rare breed -- good job

Just curious -- did the ECM kick a code for the bad TPS code?

Glad you got it working -- 81's still working on the computer are becoming a rare breed -- good job

Just curious -- did the ECM kick a code for the bad TPS code?

Yes it did kick a code 21, voltage was 4.5vdc and would not adjust. I knew I had screwed it up when I put the airhorn back on the carb.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom