Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Early C4 Brake Upgrade

1stiff84

Dear All,

I was wondering if any of you have had success finding and/or installing a good dual-piston front brake kit while still being able to use factory wheels?

Thanks in advance,

1stiff84

I'll be getting into rotors and calipers on the 85 shortly and decided on Vette Brake & Products. I would give them a call, it's nice product IMHO.

Carlo

vette brakes definitely makes quality products... try them first... I think you are going to have clearance problems with those wheels for any major modifications... My guess is you won't gain enough from a new set of brakes to justify the cost unless you go to the bigger brake size, requiring bigger wheels... You may try bleeding the system, going to better pads... above that you could do cross drilled/slotted rotors.

Also, the first thing you should do in my opinion, is bleed the brake lines... Brake fluid likes to absorb water, and brake systems always let in a bit of air, so the fluid absorbs water from the air... it doesn't take too much water at all to really destroy the fluid's abilities... It shouldn't cost you more than $10 to bleed the lines, and it could do enough to make you happy since the stock brakes are already pretty good.

Thanks

Carlo and vettelt193,

Thanks for the reference and the insight. I'll look into VBP.

Happy Motoring,

1stiff84

Corvette Central catalog has a 13" upgrade kit for less than $600. They are supposed to fit under some of the 16" wheels.
The bang for the buck is the C5 upgrade, calipers are cheaper and rotors are thicker. They won't fit under anything but 17" wheels. That's why I don't have them.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom