Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Early or Late '76 - a mystery?

K

kayak

Some us us C3 owners are fortunate enough(?) to own a model year in which GM made changes mid-year to the production run...1976 was just such a year.

As I get to know my Corvette more intimately, I've started to wonder why she seems to be a hybrid early/late 1976 model.

Early '76 indicators

A6 (Long 12") AC compressor type

Production date on VIN - J21 (May 21)

Engine block ID number (V0413CLS) corresponds with production date - April 13

T-top Center Panel - no dome light indicates 1st design

T-top header pads - constant area between the latches (1/2") indicates 1st design.

Late '76 indicators

Production Sequence Unit Number from VIN - 435709 (# 35,709 of 46,558 in 1976)

8" rear "Corvette" emblem (original to this car, no damage to rear recorded)

Rear roof panels - pre-drilled coat hanger mounting bolts (passenger side) indicates 2nd design

Rear Window Trim - painted as original indicates 2nd design

Anyone know at what point GM started considering the early/late differentiation in the 1976 year run? I don't know why this is bugging me, but somehow having a hybrid early/late '76 model is kinda unnerving, especially as I go forward with her restoration.

Would my shark get judged "down" for exhibiting such hybrid features, even though all the hybrid early/late parts I've mentioned are original to the car?

Thanks,
Kurt

WHEN IWAS JUDGED FOR NCRS THEY SAID COULD FIND
EXACT DATE IT STARTED SOME TIME IN MARCH AS PARTS RAN OUT

changes

Corvettes having engineering or production changes during the same model year are a common thing and have been happening since '53. One of the ongoing areas of research on any year in the NCRS is trying to determine exact serial numbers when a part changed from one number to the next. Just makes it more fun and as long as you are confident that a part is original to your car absolutely don't change it to match the currently accepted judging sheet because the sheet isn't right. Corvette judging is a constant learning process.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom