Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Easy-out Not that Easy

VAroute66

Corvette
'66 Roadster
This is my story. I found this L88 style hood for a mid year on E-Bay. It must be about 20 years old. It looked OK when I got it except it had a broken bolt in one of the three bolt holes on the left side that bolt to the hood hinge. Somebody must have used a stainless steel fastener because I went through two cobalt bits to get enough depth to get an Easy-out in. Well, the easy out broke in the hole. Let me tell you that Easy-out is made of something hard, because it does not drill. I have two questions for anyone who might know. How is the midyear hood constructed. Is there a metal frame underneath? or a steel plate on each side of the hood where the bolt threads are drilled and tapped? How much metal is there? I may be the first genius to break an easy out in a hood bolt hole, but I am sure that there have been hoods that needed those thread repaired. Yes, I understand there is a big difference. Any suggestions before I try to drill the easy out it out or take it to a machine shop? Thanks!

V/R
Dan

There's a steel plate about 1/8"-3/16" thick with threaded nuts welded on it that's riveted inside the inner panel; those are the rivet heads you see on the hinge mounting pad.

:beer

JohnZ,

Thank you. Your response was very helpful. At least now I know what I am up against structurally. Knowing there is some more metal there I may continue slotting the bolt shank using a dremel cut off wheel, and if I am successful, restore the threads afterwards. It will be hard to get enough torque on a screwdriver to remove it.

V/R
Dan

No such thing as an easy-out. We do not allow them in the shop!

The best way to get the bolt out is to soak it in penetrating oil for a while. Then weld another bolt to it, soak it again and wrench it out.

You will have to keep the fiberglass cool while you weld the bolt. You can do this with water or one of the ¨freeze-it¨ products.

If you have a good hand you will get less heat build up from the welding than you would from drilling. (The welded bolt will get hotter but it will happen so much quicker that there will be little time for the heat to dissipate into the fiberglass.)

SPANISHVETTS,

Thanks for your reply. Very frustrating. Welding is out because I'm not good enough, and think I can still use the hood even without the inner bolt and don't want to risk burning anything and losing the hood. The only thing that will remove material from the broken easy out is a Dremel silicon carbide grinding bit and their cutting tool. Its going to take a very long time to grind away about 1/16 in. of broken easy out, but its a long winter. Thanks again.

V/R
Dan

The hood is expensive. You can remove it and take it to a shop with a diamond tipped drill.

You can also invest in a drill if you want to DIY. If so, put long bolts in the neigboring holes as a guide for the proper drill and tap angle.

Best way I have found is drill a hole in the broken bold, use a dremel with a small enough stone to grind out half of the bolt and the break the balance out wit a small chissel. run a new tap through the thread and you are done.

You need a carbide drill bit...preferably pvd coated....about .025 smaller than the minor diameter of the thread your drilling. use a dremmel to give you a flat start in the easy out if possible. You need some PB Blaster to soak it in, then use a punch and hammer and give it a couple whacks and help work the liquid into the voids. Carbide will drill thru anything but a diamond.
Good luck:beer

Chas

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom