Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Easy way to 400

Ok. How about this...

This month:
Dyno, for a baseline.
New plugs, wires (MSD 8.5 or Delco, ideas), and air foil.

I have a KBD catback. Not sure how good it is. It is a 3" system. Anyone know anything about them??

Next month headers. (Slp, Lingenfelter, JBA, Hooker,???)

Am I on track?

After that, cam, roller rockers
or
heads

hummm. There goes the money.....

MIke

(too bad they didn't make a ZR1 convertible)

Topless said:
Ok. How about this...

This month:
Dyno, for a baseline.
New plugs, wires (MSD 8.5 or Delco, ideas), and air foil.

I have a KBD catback. Not sure how good it is. It is a 3" system. Anyone know anything about them??

Next month headers. (Slp, Lingenfelter, JBA, Hooker,???)

Am I on track?

After that, cam, roller rockers
or
heads

hummm. There goes the money.....

MIke

(too bad they didn't make a ZR1 convertible)

I think that sounds like a plan! New plugs, wires and an airfoil will probably set you back about $125 and that's with the Bosch +4's.

Yeah, I was thinking of the +4's. Spendy, but then again, quality stuff. (and it seems the plug of choice around here)

Which wires though...hummmmm

Oh, yeah, I was thinking of pulling the catback and having a system welded up with an "x" pipe, and no mufflers. Which size, 2.5, 2.75, or 3" again?
Or have I been sniffing tooo close to the gas tank?

Mike

I have the +4's with Delco plugs.

I think that 2.75" should do. Someone explained that 3" pipes aren't always better. It had something to do with smoothness of airflow or something like that.

By the way, you can pick up an airfoil on eBay for $29 + shipping. That's how I got mine; don't pay $40+ for those things. It takes 5 minutes to install with a torx bit and allen wrench.

And loc-tite! Don't forget the loc-tite!

I put the Bosch +4's in mine and like it so far. $6 each doesn't seem that high compared to my other cars... Check eBay as well - I've gotten some good deals on plugs off there.

TPIS has what they call a "Fast-Pak" that seems like a good starting point if you haven't done many mods. For about $250 you get:

"KITS INCLUDE: TPiS Air Foil, TPiS Billet Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (pictures above), Magnum Spark Plug Wires, TPiS Air Filter Element, Billet TPiS I.D. Plate, 8 Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs (add $30 to upgrade to +4's), and a Battery Mat."

The battery mat and ID plate are obviously not go-fast parts, but their plug wires are great, the fuel pressure regulator is a must (I need one) and comes with all gaskets, the air filter is like K&N.

Don't remember if you have K&N or not. I've got a spare panel filter that'd fit yours I could let go for cheap if you aren't doing that whole kit.
[RICHR]

I agree the "fast pac" sounds like a great starting point. (Think think they use a foam air filter though<--not a fan)

When you do your heads or internal's, try looking at intake first (I would)

Heres what I'd do given the same $$ to spend

Miniram
MSD 6AL
MSD 8.5 Wires (Blue Heli core or the Red's DM)
Bosch +4 Plugs
Airfoil
K&N Air filter
Cut out air filter box lid
"Y" pipe is a good idea you had there
No cats (TPiS has the plugs for the O2 sensors)
PROM from TPiS

I think with that setup your acceleration will be better than simply useing a higher duration cam and roller rockers. Don't get me wrong those mods are next on the list. But I like to get the Intake and Ignition out of the way before I crack the motor open.

As for the cut out air filter box lid, don't ever buy one, you'll just be spending money that you could save.

If you don't have the tools to do it yourself, ask a neighbor to borrow it. I believe it's called a grinder? It should cut right through those gills and free up some breathing space. If none of your neighbors has it, do this:

Go down to your local Home Depot and buy a grinder. Go home, do your work and after you're done, return the thing. Just tell them that you didn't like it. I see people do this all the time. It's kind of like a tool rental if you will...

Two reasons for buying a cut-out lid:
1. You can keep your stock one (which is important to some people)
2. The cutouts can be made of plastic and are a good two lbs lighter at the least.

Along with that K&N, I have a spare lid that someone could cut out if they want (it's a stock metal one).
[RICHR]

One of the weekend projects is to cut the filter lid. I have poped the rivets off, and removed the plastic air restricter. I will cut the lid just inside where the plastic thing goes so that I can put it back later. (not that I can think of a good reason, but you know...)

Oh, and yes, I do have a K&N. First thing I do to any car that comes into my life.

-Mike

hmm

I just now starting to performace my car out,,,
and my dad is builidng me a smaller pulley system,,, smaller pulley system,, will give u at least 10 horse power,,

but its expensve, but it only cos tme 0 bucks, hehe sinc emy dad is a tool and die maker, hehe
plus i have my own shop,, access ot a sand blaster,, car lift,, just alot of neat stuff,,, i don't have a pipe bender that does,, exhaust but soon,, im goin ot build my own blowing system,, from scartch,, that will suck the exhaust out o fmy engine,,,

there isn't to much to it,,, if u have the tools to do it with,,
anyways,, what do u mean,, cut into the air filter,, what do i cut??, give me some infro on this,, in details,,, thanx,, id like to try

400 HP LT1... there is more than one way to do it...
with the miles on your car, the smart way is from the inside, natural aspiration, but the easy way is an ATI procharger... ATI with intercooler can go 8 psi easy... that should yeild a good 60% on what you have now, which means 480 HP... now, a bit safer would be to drop it down to 6 psi intercooled, and you will still be above 400 HP.

On the flip side, if you go into the engine, you will need a base plan on what you want. It is much more complicated this way. There are a couple of things to consider... if you do a cam, port and polish the heads and intake, 52 mm throttle body, exhaust(which should be done with ATI anyway), you may as well go all the way into the engine... it would really kill you to blow an engine that you went 3/4 of the way into already... but the specs I would use are as follows:
LT4 Hot cam (get the full kit from GM with the rockers)
Roller Rocker Arms
port/polish heads and intake
52 mm throttle body
open air box/K&N filter
Cat back exhaust
Underdrive pulley kit
Reprogram computer, (custom)

with all of that I honestly think you would still be a bit shy of 400 HP, which is why ATI is the easier choice... good luck

I was cautioned against the underdrive pullies. I was told that my vette would not really like them. Besides, I just spend a scarry amount of money to get my serpentine belt from jumping off. Turns out that the Harmonic balancer was out of alignment and had to be machined to fit. arrrgghhh...

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of something in those neighborhoods. On the one hand, s/c will intimidate some, and encourage others to want to race.

Engine mods kinda keep you a sleeper. That can be fun!

Decisions, decisions....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom