Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EBAY strategy

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
Hi all, guess who? :ugh

I am wondering ....lets say I find a car and the consensus is from the braintrust here that at $7500 it would be a great car. Is there a stratgegy to just go in and bid say 6500 right away and see what that does to the first bidder or so who has bid a poultry $250.oo.and bids 450 and sees me at 500 and so on and so on until they are priced out of the car. I am wondering when buyers are checking out the cars from the main screen and see a high number early on if they are more likely to pass it by and it keeps the car from getting into a last minute bid war or does it become attractive to a collector and I get priced out? Is there any method to the madness??
Any thoughts?
Lori :w

actually its more like this right now....

:W

is there a name for this beginning madness of searching for a car and your head is spinning??

I tell you how I treat ebay when I'm bidding.I'll go in with a top price I'm willing to pay and I'll bid that and let ebay proxy bid for me.If it goes over my high bid then they can have it.That way you don't have to keep bidding ebay does it for you until you reach your limit.Lets say the top bid is $450.00 and you are willing to pay 7,500.Put in 7,500 and you will see that you are the high bidder at $500.00 some bodyelse comes along and bids 600.00 ebay will say that he has been out bid so now the price for the item is 600.00 and you are the high bidder at 600.00.This keeps going until the end and if no one has reached your high bid you win.A lot of times the high bid is lower that your high bid and you just got a deal.

eBay motors is a little odd. I'm not sure if the sniping programs work the same way (I like AuctionSniper but also use StealthBid) but they can help keep people from nickle and diming up your price. These products just drop your maximum bid in at 5 seconds to go (give or take) and if it's big enough, you win. Nobody not using software can manually react to a bid that quickly. . . I know - I've tried!

Also, with eBay motors you can often swing an off-eBay deal for a car you really, really like. Just contact the seller and see what they might be willing to do.

Best of luck!

Some sellers put an unreasonable high reserve and then sell off ebay to the high bidder, with a item like a Vette most people want to look at it.
Thats how I got mine, it didn't reach reserve and the seller called me and agreed to my verbal offer.

bossvette said:
Thats how I got mine, it didn't reach reserve and the seller called me and agreed to my verbal offer.

Bought 2 that way. I will only buy if I can see the car in person. I've watched several auctions and waited til the end to contact the seller without even bidding, went to look and no thanks, usually not as advertised.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I see you have not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 vettes, maybe you can send one my way ;-)
Save me all this ebay stress - I am kidding, I could probably afford half of one of your cars!
Lori

Lori...Morning...

I have purchased 2 vettes and a Conversion Van off ebay motors in the last 3 years....As fas as the bidding goes..Proxy bid works fine. Also, as mentioned above, first thing i do is ask the seller for his phone number and talk with them right away on the phone. Do your homework, know what the car should go for, and negotiate over the phone......

Andy

Lori -
Let us know where the car is located. Chances are someone from the forum lives nearby and can inspect the car for you. I used this method to recently purchase a non-vette toy. Had two prospects, someone inspected one of the cars and advised me to walk away as there were serious frame issues. I ended up the winning bidder on the other car after another person looked at it for me and reported back that it checked out fine.

John
'69 Vette
'59 Sprite
'63 Austin Healey

I purchased my Vette from an Ebay auction but I had gone through 2 other "bad" auctions before finding a good deal. My suggestion is immediately contact the seller about the vehicle, and if suddenly someone starts to bid up the car, be very suspicious.

In both cases that I spoke of, I had found a vette that I was interested in, which had a low current bid and which the auction was ending fairly soon. As soon as I started asking questions to the sellers, within hours someone started a bidding war on that car. In each instance the seller would contact me and suggest that “hay I like you, you seem to be the kind of person I want to buy my baby, top the current bid and I will end the auction now.”

I guess this is a way of circumventing Ebay’s polices, but in my opinion, if the seller is going to be dishonest with Ebay, they will be with you also.

Ebay is a dumping ground!!!!!!!!!!

I am very leary about the cars on Ebay and would not bid a dollar unless l was able to see it and driveit and have it inspected. Very rarely can you find a great deal.

If a person cannot sell a vette in his or her local area then there has to be a problem.

When l bought my vette the person thought that his vette was singing it's swan song. He was really wrong because he didn't know a thing about the vette except drive it and change the oil and lube it.

The vette was rattling like crazy because he put on regular brake pads without the clips so every time he hit a bump they would rattle. Easy fix! The top also rattled but he didn't know how to adjust them, easy fix. His a/c was not up to par. Cheap valve, easy fix.

The vette didn't shine like it should, easy fix Zaino!

Temp guage was erratic, $27 fix.

This person just used the vette when he had the time because it was a third car. I am sure that he thought he pulled a fast one on me but little did he know!

To date all l have had to do with it is lube it and change the oil and did l say that l bought it right.

Alan

p.s. One more thing, l had a car-fax before l even looked at it and it was clean.

I bought the 70 Convertable on eBay (actually my wife did) by bidding once early and then throwing in another bid (to my maximum amount) with a few seconds to go. It was a good deal (350 hp 350, 4-speed, good driver for just over $11k). I have bought several other non corvette vehicles on eBay (several of which I have later sold locally for more money) and had good luck (the '88 Pontiac 6000 I got for my 16 year old only cost me $173 and runs great with cold air) but one thing I have always done is pick up the car in person and bring the money with me, that way if the car is misrepresented I can always walk away and am only out the drive. I have had people buy vehicles from me and send a company to come pick it up, but I wouldn't do it that way. Some of the vehicles I bought were once where the auction ended without making the reserve and I was able to get it for less money. Just like buying it any other way, you need to know what it is worth to you and what you are getting and act accordingly.

Kevin

I buy and sell on eBay all the time. In fact, I just listed my '73 on there, but it didn't meet the reserve. Anyway, what I usually do, is bid during the last 2 minutes. bidding early does a few bad things for a buyer. #1- it shows people are interested in the car. If I see a car on eBay with lots of bids, I look at it. If it's obviously in demand, other people will want it. don't ask me why, but that's the way it is. #2- if someone really wants it, and they have already bid, you will get into a bidding war. I love those auctions with just a few bids, and the high bidder is probably pretty confident it'll be his. Usually, if there haven't been bids in a few days, the high bidder will get complacent, and not check back frequently. Then during the last minute or two, you give him a run for his money. If he isn't watching, you'll get it right out from under him. Have you found a car on ebay? if you wouldn't mind, let us see the auction? I'm sure everyone here is respectful enough they wouldn't try to grab it from you. If you've got a little more than $7500 to spend, I've got a real nice '73.......

kingman said:
I am very leary about the cars on Ebay and would not bid a dollar unless l was able to see it and driveit and have it inspected. Very rarely can you find a great deal.

If a person cannot sell a vette in his or her local area then there has to be a problem.

When l bought my vette the person thought that his vette was singing it's swan song. He was really wrong because he didn't know a thing about the vette except drive it and change the oil and lube it.

The vette was rattling like crazy because he put on regular brake pads without the clips so every time he hit a bump they would rattle. Easy fix! The top also rattled but he didn't know how to adjust them, easy fix. His a/c was not up to par. Cheap valve, easy fix.

The vette didn't shine like it should, easy fix Zaino!

Temp guage was erratic, $27 fix.

This person just used the vette when he had the time because it was a third car. I am sure that he thought he pulled a fast one on me but little did he know!

To date all l have had to do with it is lube it and change the oil and did l say that l bought it right.

Alan

p.s. One more thing, l had a car-fax before l even looked at it and it was clean.

most cars sold on ebay aren't sold because there was no buyer in the local market. I wouldn't even dream of giving $40 to place an ad in the Auto Trader. for the same $$$ I can put it on ebay, price it reasonably, and be pretty sure it will be sold in 7 days. Far more people look at eBay than their local newspapers for classic cars. I guess I'm lucky, I've bought numerous cars on ebay sight unseen, and all of them have lived up to the owners descriptions, and have been decent cars. I usually just take into consideration the fact that the seller's idea of "perfect interior, etc" is probably a little different from mine. In my auctions I always state that I will end the auction early for a cash offer. I sell most of my stuff that way.

goertz said:
what I usually do, is bid during the last 2 minutes.

I forget which hockey coach (maybe Harry Neale) it was that said it, but it applies here. . . "Arrive late and in ill humor"
:gap

Good luck in your endeavours!

Craig

PS there's a white 79 for $8500 down here in PA. . .

L48 said:
I don't know for sure but I think its called addiction.

Yup, that's for sure!!!! You'll drive yourself crazy looking for the car that is exactly what you want. It's a PITA having the money in your pocket, but just unable to find the "right" car. You end up changing your views to the "right car" is the car that's available "right now", and you compromise a little bit.

I sold my Harley and my MG Midget on EBAY. Unfortunately, my Vette didn't sell. I live in a small town, so coverage by the local papers is pretty slim. I don't have many options. I have an ad posted in the window of the local drive-inn. There is a cruise night every Wednesday. I am hoping to catch someone's eye, or at least get some word-of-mouth exposure.

My friend bought 4 Cadillacs on ebay.

1) Car shows up, but the seller failed to mention it was a total rust bucket
2) Car shows up, title never does, seller disappears from the planet
3) Car shows up, seller fails to mention it is:
Salvage
Has different serial numbers glued over the actual serial numbers
Car was represented as a STS when it arrived it was an SLS
Car had a cracked block
Seller was a dealer from Florida

4) Buyer went to see the car in person, for a change is was nice.

If you can't see it, touch it and feel it...Don't buy it.

goertz said:
I buy and sell on eBay all the time. In fact, I just listed my '73 on there, but it didn't meet the reserve. Anyway, what I usually do, is bid during the last 2 minutes. bidding early does a few bad things for a buyer. #1- it shows people are interested in the car. If I see a car on eBay with lots of bids, I look at it. If it's obviously in demand, other people will want it. don't ask me why, but that's the way it is. #2- if someone really wants it, and they have already bid, you will get into a bidding war. I love those auctions with just a few bids, and the high bidder is probably pretty confident it'll be his. Usually, if there haven't been bids in a few days, the high bidder will get complacent, and not check back frequently. Then during the last minute or two, you give him a run for his money. If he isn't watching, you'll get it right out from under him. Have you found a car on ebay? if you wouldn't mind, let us see the auction? I'm sure everyone here is respectful enough they wouldn't try to grab it from you. If you've got a little more than $7500 to spend, I've got a real nice '73.......
Hi, I am so pressed for time and my pm box was full here :-(
here is the newest one I like and that is going crazy - she has not replied to 2 emails i sent her nor did she list the VIN # :-(
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4559375673&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

the '82 is this one and it ends in the AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4558348659&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ADS%3AMT%3A28

I wish you were closer! I bet yours is nice!

John Kuzman said:
Lori -
Let us know where the car is located. Chances are someone from the forum lives nearby and can inspect the car for you. I used this method to recently purchase a non-vette toy. Had two prospects, someone inspected one of the cars and advised me to walk away as there were serious frame issues. I ended up the winning bidder on the other car after another person looked at it for me and reported back that it checked out fine.

John
'69 Vette
'59 Sprite
'63 Austin Healey
hi john
Seems like maine has the cars I want for some reason - I saw the one in Greene Maine and that ends in the AM and the other is in Sanford ME, but 2 emails and no reply from the seller - maybe she is away> and no VIN listed...
here are the cars: I just got in so I don't know there may be some new ones listend today. I would like to find one within 200 miles of me max.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4558348659&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ADS%3AMT%3A28

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4559375673&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom