Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EBCM problem-Help

Vette Dreemz

Corvette
1999 Black Coupe
Hi all; Just bought a 1999 coupe (Black) about a month ago and was told the only problem was the windshield wiper motor was bad. Bought it from an estate, so the executor had little actual knowledge aside from the wiper problem. Saw the lights lit for the ABS/Traction control intermittently and took it to my mechanic who actively races his own cars in SCCA where he wins quite frequently. He gave me a price of $700.00 to remove the EBCM, send it out to his guy who rebuilds his own modules, and reinstall it. I agreed to this and found out that the 1999 Delphi unit as of just recently cannot be rebuilt, there are no new ones available, two on ebay used for about $1700.00, as is. Anyone have any good news about this problem?? Help. Thanks in advance.:confused:confused

Obviously your "guy" is not up to speed with the C5.

First you need to pull your DIC codes and show us what you find,

Here is how:

Retreiving & Clearing Codes on a 1997-2004 C5 Corvette - YouTube

Once you record them, clear/remove them and go for a drive and then pull them again when you get back.

Show us the before and after and also record whether they are H, C, or HC

PS: Even with the EBCM removed normal braking is NOT affected.

Obviously your "guy" is not up to speed with the C5.

First you need to pull your DIC codes and show us what you find,

Here is how:

Retreiving & Clearing Codes on a 1997-2004 C5 Corvette - YouTube

Once you record them, clear/remove them and go for a drive and then pull them again when you get back.

Show us the before and after and also record whether they are H, C, or HC

PS: Even with the EBCM removed normal braking is NOT affected.
OK, here goes, and thanks for getting back to me. I pulled the codes, took it out and checked them again when I got home. There was one group heading that showed up on the DIC that does not show up on any of the posts about what the codes mean, and that is (58SDM) with 2 codes, (B101H and U1301H) and group 99 HVAC shows one code (U1160H) which is not on the charts. group A6-SCM shows 6 codes of which 2 are not on the charts, (B2860 H C, and U1300H). Also, when I recorded and then cleared all the codes, two would not clear. I held the reset button on both, they disappeared and then magically reappeared. They would not reset. They are Group (28TSC), one code, (C1255C) and group (A6-SCM), one code (B2860 H C).

The codes I recorded are as follows:

10PCM 1 code P1433H
28TCS 1 code C1255H
40BCM 0 codes
58SDM 2 codes B1001H, U1301H
60IPC 0 codes
80 Radio 0 codes
99HVAC 1 code U1160H
AO-LDCM 3 codes B2282, 2284, U1064H
A1-RDCM 6 codes B2283H, B2285H, U1255H, U1064H, U1064H, U1096H
A6-SCM 5 codes B0851H, B2605H, B2860 H C,U1300H,U1255H
B0-RFA 4 codes U1096H, U1064H,U1016H, C2100H

When I returned home, the only codes visible were the two I mentioned in the opening paragraph.

I tried looking up the various codes and found most of them, but they did not tell me much.

As for the EBCM, the numbers on it are 5/TCS/MSVAAH, Delphi 09356971 if that helps anything.

Thanks again for your response. Vince

OK, just to make sure I know what codes are still showing up AFTER you have tried clearing them please just identify them again for me.

Also, pull the codes BEFORE you turn the ignition OFF so I will know if they are H or C. I want to know what codes are "locked in" as C. Once you turn the ignition OFF almost all codes show as H. By doing it before you turn the ignition off you can see if some codes showed as H but went away since they are not C.

OK, just to make sure I know what codes are still showing up AFTER you have tried clearing them please just identify them again for me.

Also, pull the codes BEFORE you turn the ignition OFF so I will know if they are H or C. I want to know what codes are "locked in" as C. Once you turn the ignition OFF almost all codes show as H. By doing it before you turn the ignition off you can see if some codes showed as H but went away since they are not C.
As I mentioned, when I got home, I shut off the engine then again turned on the key, cleared everything down to mileage then reran the entire sequence and the only codes that were on the computer were as I said prior. I copied the comment and now will paste it here. ( Also, when I recorded and then cleared all the codes, two would not clear. I held the reset button on both, they disappeared and then magically reappeared. They would not reset. They are Group (28TSC), one code, (C1255C) and group (A6-SCM), one code (B2860 H C).) All the other codes were gone, only these two were still there. Hope this explains what is going on so far. Thanks, Vince

C1255 is an internal fault with the EBTCM.

If you are a DIY, turn off the ign. disconnect the EBTCM connectors and inspect for faulty pins. If you find none, replace the EBTCM.

B2860 is a fault with the steering column position sensor. To DIY repair that you need a scan tester which can read the seat control modules. If you don't have a tester like that, take the car to a dealer or other service facility which has that type of a tester and has the Factory Service Manual.

Hib; Thanks for your assistance. I have only owned the vette for about a month now and going through a lot of problems, costly problems, but that is part of ownership. Nice thing about it is that I am not even a little upset. The '99 is still so new to me that I am indeed having "vette dreemz" every night. Thanks again, Vince

Code 1255 is called the EBCM "code of death". Do what Hib recommends but it does not sound good. No one has ever been able to repair the circuit board problems from the code. Even finding a good used EBCM will be hard to do and cost a LOT of money. ABS, AH, and TC will not work but normal brake function is not affected.

Your column position sensor issue may just be a wiring/connector issue we can work on later. It only affects the Memory function which I never even use in my car. You can fix it yourself, it is just complicated. If mine went south, I would not fix it.

Dadaroo; Thanks for pitching in. The mechanic I took it to is a professional race driver, owner and has his own repair shop and the advise he gave me was almost word for word to the advise you gave me. He said that to purchase a "junk yard" replacement for any amount of money would be a waste of money. I am 74 years young and am fulfilling a live long dream of owning a vette and do not intend to race it or take it to time trials, so aside from the pain in the butt of having to reset the codes off the DIC every time I drive it, it does not really affect me. Thanks again, Vince

I have seen in a forum somewhere that the column position sensor fault can be caused by a connection problem under the drivers seat. I'll try to find it again later today and post a link here for you.

Just some brief research around the web indicates to me that the belief that no 98-00 EBTCM can be repaired is misguided. Clearly, many of them cannot be repaired but I'm not convinced that none of them can be repaired.

As for the "race driver" who owns a shop and says that no used part is worth the money, he's also misquided. It is true that good used 98-00 brake modules are hard to find but they are available. If it was my 99, I'd further explore the repair idea on other forums and I'd consider a used module from a vendor who will refund your money if the unit is bad.

As for driving the car with a bad EBTCM by simply by clearing codes–it is true that, provided it is in good condition, the base brake system is unaffected by a faulty EBTCM. If you're going to do that, I'd have the base brake system flushed and bled but also–know that by not repairing/replacing the brake module you lack ABS which is a wonderful safety enhancement. If I was in my early-70s, I'd want that system working because I'd know that at that age, reactions get a little slower and motor control isn't as good. Some of the Corvettes braking and stability enhancement systems might save my butt in a driving emergency.

Thanks for your concern and understanding. There is a local Corvette club here in Cameron Park, (East of Sacramento), that meets on the second Tuesday of each month, and I have my membership form filled out and plan to join next week and hopefully I can get some first hand input regarding the varied problems I am experiencing with my car. I had the oil changed, the brake system flushed, the coolant pressure flushed to the tune of $140.00, (well worth it). Next is the transmission leak, a $1.40 seal that is going to cost +/- $1200.00 and might as well do the clutch and pressure plate while I am at it. Which brings up a question, the factory clutch kit or the dual clutch system which is two to three times as much as the factory replacement. Well, only time will tell. Thanks again, Vince

Frankly I wish I could quickly turn off ABS like I can TC and AH. As an experienced driver I can stop in a shorter distance. ABS is primarily to prevent over braking from causing loss of control but it means longer stopping distance. I have thought about pulling the fuses for it but since I have not even driven my car since last year it is not high on my list right now.

All EBCMs can potentially be repaired but it depends on what is wrong. A bad board like C1255 indicates is most likely NOT fixable. The problem with 97-99 is they used a heavy potting material which makes removing it difficult with possible board damage in trying to replace a bad relay or solenoid. The 2000 is better and there is one shop who does them. However if a board is bad with more than an obvious diode type issue and needs an internal chip (with programming) you are done.

Thank God I am the only person in the entire world that owns a 97-99 and has this problem. As I understand it, the replacement part from GM cost in the neighborhood of $240.00 from GM when available years ago and $700.00 from another site also from GM. Seems GM should put some effort into making a usable replacement part for the car. Jeez, you can get a water pump for a 1940 Ford, but no one in the entire universe can make a replacement? There has to be an original design plan for this part when the car was in production. Can it not be replicated? Any idea who would be the appropriate source to at least start this in motion???:confused Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Vince

Hey Dadaroo; Thanks for the heads up, but I have already paid for the removal and re-installation of mine, and if I were to do it again, it would preferably be done for the right part. Thanks again for finding that thing. Vince

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom