Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ecklers bumper cover

mike77

Corvette
1990 convertible
I had a Greenwood rear wing on my 90 vette convertible. I removed it in order to comply with collector plate insurance regulations. I now have 6- 1/4 inch holes in the top of the bumper cover. I considered repairing the holes. Several body shops said the repair will "ghost" through in a few years. I didn't want to be chasing repairs every 4 years. I was looking for a good used cover. Look like they are very hard to find in my areas. I saw Eckler's has a "GM restoration" factory approved reproductions. Any comments on the quality of their reproductions? I don't want to buy something that needs body work just to get it to fit right. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

PS just bought new tires, Goodyear Eagles F1. Even 17 inch tires seem to be hard to find.

Are you saying your insurance company will not cover your car if it has a wing on it? I've not heard that one before, If it was me and I wanted the wing, I'd check other insurance companies before removing it.

Correct. To obtain collector status the car must be stock as it left the factory. Some minor deviations allowed for consumable parts. To apply for status full pictures are submitted to a review body which approves or disapproves. I took the wing off for the pictures. Strategically avoided pictures of the holes. It would have been disqualified. They issue a collector plate for that car. Car needs to be 25 years or older 100% stock. They also have Vintage (basically brass era parade only cars), modified collector ( pre 1974 hot rods, and muscle cars) . None of these cars can be your primary car. You must also have a registered none collector car insured in your name. I am afraid to put it back on. I really liked it. But if an accident occurred I don't want any problems. There is only ONE insurance company ICBC. Government owned and 2 Billion in debut. You know how well governments run businesses. The insurance will drop from $1800.00/ year to $330.00/year with Collector status. With 3 collector cars I save a bunch of insurance money.

Anyone have any experience with Ecklers GM Restorations repops?

Mike

Last edited:
So, what's the advantage of collector plates where you're at? Here, the vehicle doesn't have to be 100% original to get them but there are sever drivability restrictions on it. Here collector plates you buy once but there are restrictions. Take it to the grocery store and you can be ticketed. Take it to the drug store or church - same thing. Pretty much anything other than a club or show event and you can be ticketed.
Personally I'd rather drive my car than just look at it.

Last edited:
No restriction like that for us. It is specifically states "for pleasure use only, cannot be driven to work or school". Other than that cruise around all you want.
ICBC is strict. They look for guy/gals who have good quality restorations and take their car out "occasionally". Lower risk low premiums. Can't have rust, rips, tears, bumps, bruises, incomplete paint. Must be garage kept. I've seen a lot of interesting interpretation of a garage. We kind of digressed from the original topic. :L

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom