Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ecm and prom

jj_long81

Corvette
L81 origional
is there any benifit to sending your ecm to be rebuilt rather than buying a new one from the local parts store. i was quoted 85 to diag it from a remanufactuer. the new ones they supply were 365.00 without prom. is it special. the auto parts store around here is half that. whats the best source to replace a ecm and maybe even a prom?

I brought a rebuilt ECM box from NAPA for about $100 a couple of years ago and she works fine. The prom cannot be brought, at least original ones but you might be able to get ab aftermarket one, I did too but did not notice any difference so put back in original prom and all is working as should.

I have never heard anything bad about an aftermarket computer. I dont see the need to spend 3x the money to keep the original. But originality might be worth that to you.

You can still get a PROM from Hypertech, costs more than the computer.

Also check ebay for used ECMs....

The original PROMs are long gone...only choice is the one from HyperTech....and like stated above....will cost more than the ECM.

If you want to try a different ECM before buying one....I do have a spare with original PROM...that I could let you borrow. You would have to pay for shipping both ways.

I bought an ECM from Rockauto just over 1 year ago for about $50; this was about half their normal price, as it was one of those left-overs from other suppliers.
Works fine!
The shipping to me was more than the ECM :ugh
Cor

If you still need an ECM with Prom, let me know. I just removed mine last weekend. It worked fine, I just went to some mods and needed to do my own tuning. I also have a Hypertech chip on ebay.

How interesting, all this, for all of us.............:mad
Cor

Since when does a fellow Corvette owner helping out another owner cause a flame?????????????????

Maybe I'm old school, but I thought this was what forums were about.:eyerole

ive been very generous too on some sites where we build hooligan bikes. with all the old parts around ive sent many to people who need something more than i. it just goes to show what goes around comes around. thank you.

How interesting, all this, for all of us.............:mad
Cor

I see one member helping out another.
What is the problem????

OK, a little clarification

The problem is, that most members do receive an E-mail, when a new contribution has been recorded on a topic in which one has contributed previously.
I received 3 such notifications, but every time I logged on, there was no news of any interest for anyone.
I refer to posts # 8, 9 and 10.
There is no sense to put an entry on the forum to say that an E-mail or a PM has been sent.
That is why I slightly sarcastic noted "how interesting"
Perhaps I should not have entered the "mad" icon.
Cor

As a result of your contribution to the thread, you are subscribed to the thread,you get notified every time someone replies,you are notified .....if you do not wish to receive notifications,I do believe you may unsubscribe from it.

I have to say I agree with Cor that there is no point to posting overhere that somebody send a pm, email or something else. You're not calling somebody that you're going to call them in about 2 minutes, it's the same thing! :)
But hey, not a big problem and when a '81 member can help another that is always a good sign! :thumb

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom