Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ECM Conversion

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Hello all, Jeffs giving me a great deal on a ECM from a 89 and the harnessing the pins and a Prom burned to my car.

Im just curious has anyone else beside Myself and Jeff taken this on? How is the performance gain? Post anything you have noticed!

I have some questions about it like

Is my security system going to change?
If I remove that Shift sensor (From Kens site) is the Computer OK with the transmission?
Is there anything else Im not thinking of? Like Dash stuff, or any other major device?

BigRed said:
Hello all, Jeffs giving me a great deal on a ECM from a 89 and the harnessing the pins and a Prom burned to my car.

Im just curious has anyone else beside Myself and Jeff taken this on? How is the performance gain? Post anything you have noticed!

I have some questions about it like

Is my security system going to change?
If I remove that Shift sensor (From Kens site) is the Computer OK with the transmission?
Is there anything else Im not thinking of? Like Dash stuff, or any other major device?

I can actually answer a couple of those questions..
your Security system will not change. It is a seperate module and is not incorporated in the ECM.

4+3 Trans stuff. With the conversion I am working on for you, it will be using the code from a 1989 Vette. this did not have the 4+3 so the 4+3 OD switch will bypass the ECM all together.

The only thing I am not sure on is the fuel averaging stuff. it should work but I don't know for sure..

As for the conversion.. I am waiting for the ret of the pins i need to get all the wires made. I will then get some pictures for you

Sounds like a fun project.

Swaping harnesses is like taking a jig saw puzzle apart then putting it back together again.

I am currently putting an OBDII 1997 computer, harness, air bags, anti lock, entire dash, gauges, HVAC, a/c, over drive trans, etc. etc. etc. from a 97 Grand am into a 1992.

It has been a MASSIVE conversion including changing the gas tank, steering column (of course the engine - the 92 engine was blown), axles, trans, radiator, tail lights, etc. etc.

I have been having a blast. No better way to learn how all these things go together than to just do it.

Mine is much more severe than yours because of the OBD II. This would be like trying to put a 1996 engine management system into your 85.

The conversion Jeff is working on for you should be pretty much straight forward. You will have much to remove in terms of the dash to gain access to the other ends of those wires. After that you will be up an running.

The 89 Computer has a faster processing speed, and the other Chip will help you get some additional performance out of the car.

Keep us posted, take lots of pictures, and have fun.

You can see the mess I am making under our Off Road Lounge area---Other Cars----New to me car for $100.

Hehe thats sounds like a nightmare Chris LOL but a fun one!

I sure hope nothing changes on my fuel avg. or rnage or anything I really liked those features =)

I think the only problem you would have is maybe some terminal plugs that are different from 89-85. It sounds like Jeff is working on that for you.

This will be great because you are going to have a better system. The 85 is kind of a one of a kind type deal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom