Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ECU location 1984 C4?

Cajun, If it is, I cannot get at it! The "breadbox" wont come loose (even after removoving ALL the phillips head screws)and the bottom kick panel is held in by TWO round head carriage bolts , that even after ripping all the carpet off (it was glued to the kick panel) The bolt heads are round and flush with the remaining plastic. It appears the threaded end screws into the base of the dash and also cannot be accessed. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Sounds like your to far towards the front of the dash.. Take the Plastic cover off that's behind the Carpeted area. It's closer to the firewall.

You do not get to the ECU through the "breadbox"...you need to go up underneath the dash assembly (laying upside down in that floorboard is OH so comfy!), remove the plastic panel, and there are two nuts that hold the ECM in place (10mm). Remove these and the ECM slides out from the bottom.

Thanks.....but every time I get in "that" position my wife thinks I'm trying to have some new kinky sex and thus breaks my rhythm....but I will try it! Thanks to the both of ya and I'll let you know how I "make-out" ;-)

You do not get to the ECU through the "breadbox"...you need to go up underneath the dash assembly (laying upside down in that floorboard is OH so comfy!), remove the plastic panel, and there are two nuts that hold the ECM in place (10mm). Remove these and the ECM slides out from the bottom.

This is the only way to get to the ECU. It's only held on with two small screws, and I not sure I could still do it at my age. But if you put the seat all the way backwards, and lay a plank on the doors sill, lay down on the plank and using a small flashlight, you can look right up at the ECU. I used my 1/4 drive rachet sat and if I still remember it's a 10 mm socket, the ecu will come right down. The wire harness is long enough and then you can see where to change the 'Chip' or just replace the entire unit. you can do this, I'm 58 ! :thumb

Thanks.....but every time I get in "that" position my wife thinks I'm trying to have some new kinky sex and thus breaks my rhythm....but I will try it! Thanks to the both of ya and I'll let you know how I "make-out" ;-)

Oh I know what you mean...mine comes up with some quite questionable descriptions of simply cleaning the tailpipe tips. :chuckle

I just lay a mirror on the floor and can then see exactly what I'm doing without becoming a contortionist. Work smart, not hard. :D

Mirrors work for me! Thanks to everyone....now what's the best mod ? stage 1 without a themostat change? any difference in Brands?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom