Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Edelbrock manifold

Barb,

On an LS5, the hood is a factory BB hood. An L88 hood is different. AN L88 hood is what i have on mine, and it sits up higher to allow a taller intake/carb setup. Also, it is open in the rear of the hood by the windshield about 3 inches in height for an accessory air intake chamber to suck in fresh air . I love mine...they say taking in fresh air on a BB C3 is good for about 15-25 h.p. Plus you can then go with a dual plane (higher) intake which is much better for street use and engine warmup - it does give better low end torque.

Dave.

Thanks Dave!

I was just about to write the same thing. :gap

Edelbrock intakes and C3s:
small-block.
Torker and Torker II: will fit w. stock hood
Performer: will fit w. stock hood
Performer RPM: will NOT fit with stock hood. Must use L88 "cold air" hood or equivalent for clearance.

big-block
Torker II: will fit w. stock hood
Performer: will NOT fit w. stock hood Must use L88 "cold air" hood or equivalent for clearance
Performer RPM: will NOT fit w. stock hood. Must use L88 "cold air" hood or equivalent plus a "low-rise" air filter assy. for clearance

Lastly, on other than stock hoods--Ecklers used to sell a great looking hood that had the style of the 73-75 BB hoods but had a small amount of additionial clearance over what is available with the L88 type.

Great feedback!

So here's another question for you...

If I don't want to change out the hood, would it be worth it to take off the intake manifold and have it "bored" (I know there's different terminology for it but I can't think of it right now). Basically, have it cleaned out and made smooth to maximize air flow. How much would that be worth?

Thanks!
Barb :w

Depends

It's called port and polish Barb. The idea is to match the size of the ports on the intake manifold to the size of the ports on the heads. You can buy port matched cnc'd manifolds from all the supply places, Summit, Jeg's, Edelbrock and so on. There are different theories on the polishing part, some now feel that a little rough inner surface atomizes the gas and gives it a better spray. My suggestion, listen to the engine building people, the ones that have actually tried and tested and can show a performance difference, otherwise, it's just a matter of opinion.

Barb,
Its called Port Matched and Polished. A Machine Shop does that professionally . Cost me $250 to have the new AirGap Intake done on mine - usually, they only go in the runners maybe about an inch or two taking off material from the walls and they widen the Intake opening quite a bit to match the Head opening. How much its worth in H.P. and Torque is tough to guage..but ive read articles that claim anywhere from 6-15 h.p. I used to have the stock Heads, Torker 2 Intake, with a 750 Carb - changed last winter to EDL ALum Oval Port Heads, EDL AirGap Intake (dual plane) and 850 Carb .... noticed a BIG difference over stock performance, i mean BIG. Ill bet its flowing a good 25% more .

All it takes is money and a love for speed.

Extrude Hone

There is another process called Extrude Hone, which ports out intakes, cylinder heads and the like. Instead of being restricted to the reach of a grinder, this process can go into the part around all the curves and polish them. Material under pressure is forced into the intake, in this case, resulting in a better airflow surface. Muscle Car Review magazine put out an article on this procedure for their November 2001 issue, but it involved exhaust manifolds. It's not cheap at all. The quoted price for an aluminum intake is $365 and $465 for an iron one, respectively. If you insist on keeping the stock hood and are looking for every last available horsepower, this seems to be an option, yet at quite a cost. While you can measure the power increase on a dyno, real airflow efficiency can only be confirmed on a flow bench with the proper test equipment. A guess is usually just that.--Bullitt

edelbrock manifold

I recently reworked a 350cid in a 1968 using a permormer intake
manifold and edelbrock 1404 carb.the edelbrock14" breather works fine if you use a 2" high element.My original 327cid hood closes fine on this setup.:upthumbs :upthumbs

"Extrude Honing" or hand porting and polishing an intake manifold can make a difference in performance of the manifold. The difference will vary from no practical improvement to a slight improvement.

Will Extrude Honing or porting an Edelbrock Performer make it work as well as a Performer RPM?

Not a chance.

If you want the high rpm performance offered by a high-rise intake, then buy another hood. If you don't want the different hood, then you've got to live with the compromises.

i have a torker 2 with a 750 holley dp with a 2 inch spacer and a 14X3 air cleaner on my 79 and i have no problem at all.i have been thinking about the performer manifold too.anyone with anything good to say about it?thanks,,,,,joe :s

wanting to go fast aye?

If you are wanting the maximum looks and performance, give the JEGS catalog a quick look.

I bought a Edlebrock DUAL QUAD intake (lo-rise) and 2 edlebrock 525 cfms carbs for my 80 L-82 and it ALL fit under my stock hood! :D
Though I am not sure if they have this set-up for a big block?! :confused

I drove it that way for almost 2 years and it REALLY made a big difference in power, and MAN does it look nice when you pop the hood, I only sold the setup because I couldn't find anyone that would "let it pass" the state emission inspection.

Also, I think they have intake gaskets with a S.S. wire screen mesh, that is supposed to break the gas up into smaller particles and burn quicker/faster and give you more HP...it seemed to work very well!

My automatic wouldn't chirp second, until I added this stuff, (I don't have a shift kit in yet) man after that, it was almost scary.

I am definitely going back with this set-up on my 72 LT-1, might not be original, but it should EASILY chirp 4th gear, and its easy to go back.

Larry (gus) :cool

Lt-1 Registry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom