Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EGR Solenoid

Wajulia

Corvette
1981 White
This weekend I put the Distributer Shield on my 1981 -- Big day because it was the first time one has been on the car in about 27 years. Looks good, but I sure know why bubba thought fit to toss it in the first place. A bit of a PIA to get on properly.

BUT-- In doing this I broke the EGR solenoid (just the tab that locks the connector on). Not the big red one, but the white one underneath it. Does anyone still sell that part. I couldn't find it on Ecklers or Zip.

I have a white one that looks just like yours (broken tab). I took both the red and white one off and ran the vacuum line from the egr to the ported vacuum switch on the thermostat housing. The computer could care less. Tim

If you are talking about the plug or connector's side of the solenoid (the one at the end of the wire that connects to the solenoid), then you might want to check with NAPA. I have found through them 2,3, and even 6 pin GM styled wire connectors. They even sell the tool (it looks like a screwdriver handle with a thin tube attached to it) that will help you swap the plug.

I recommend the use of a wire chart to remind you which pin goes in what location (A,B, or whatever pin location in the case of 6-pin plugs).

Those solenoids are both controlled by the computer and get no info from them. So I would not expect it to effect the computer. The way that I understand it works is the computer disables the EGR valve during idle and when you lift off the gas.

TIM -- do you have an drive-ability issues or idle issues?

No, I haven't experience any ill effects at all, no codes or idle problems. Basically mine is connected the same way they did it before the CCC system. Tim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom