Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EGR solenoid ?

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
Hi all, I recently plugged off the vacuum line to the EGR, as a temporary 'fix' for the lumpy running, I was experiencing at low revs under load. I've put off getting to the EGR until I can afford the injectors, I intend to replace, when doing this. Now I'me told it may be the solenoid. I cannot find a way to look at the EGR insitu (is it possible?) to check operation, where do I find the solenoid and how should I test it ? She smogged at maximum HC's, with the EGR reconnected. Any pointers will be much appreciated......Roger...:w

I am not sure on a 88 but on my 93 I followed the vacuum hose from the egr to the solenoid. Again the location on my 93 probable is different than on an 88 but I would think the vacuum hose would go from the EGR to the Solenoid.

Hi all, I recently plugged off the vacuum line to the EGR, as a temporary 'fix' for the lumpy running, I was experiencing at low revs under load. I've put off getting to the EGR until I can afford the injectors, I intend to replace, when doing this. Now I'me told it may be the solenoid. I cannot find a way to look at the EGR insitu (is it possible?) to check operation, where do I find the solenoid and how should I test it ? She smogged at maximum HC's, with the EGR reconnected. Any pointers will be much appreciated......Roger...:w
Look under the throttle body on or near the water neck for the thermostat. great location for a part that might need to be involved in testing...

You can test it by applying vac and voltage. See if it allows vac to pass or not.
To see the EGR work, just find a vac line to it,. and suck on it or use a vac pump if available. Use a small mirror under the edge of the diaphram bonnet and look to see if the inner parts move when you apply vac. There are small holes to look thru on the underside of the diaphram housing. That only shows the EGR working, it does not tell you if its sealing the port or not. Its not a big project to pull the plenum off and get to the EGR valve. 20 minutes first time. Pull throttle body screws and pull away, remove the 2 throttle cable mounting bolts, 8 plenum bolts and lift up. First time have a new set of plenum gaskets handy. Wipe "never-seize" on the new gaskets and they will not stick next time and can be re-used in this low or no pressure seal.

Once you find the egr solenoid, moving it to a better more accessable location is a good idea.
I lengthened (<-is that spelled right?, looks funny) the hose, and stuck mine (bolted) on the back of the air pump/alt bracket where I can get to any of the vac line and the solenoid without hassle.

and no, that 3rd fitting is just a vent and does not have a missing hose.:chuckle
Everybody ask...:beer

Hi Boom and John, Thanks for your help. Boom you say to look near the water neck for the thermostat. I dont know why I need to check the thermostat. Please advise.. Thanks again.....Roger.

Hi Boom and John, Thanks for your help. Boom you say to look near the water neck for the thermostat. I dont know why I need to check the thermostat. Please advise.. Thanks again.....Roger.

You're looking for the EGR solenoid right?

Yes but you say to check the thermostat. Excuse the ignorance but what part does the thermostat play in this ?..........Roger.

No, This is what I said...

Looking for the egr solenoid.....

"Look under the throttle body on or near the water neck for the thermostat. great location for a part that might need to be involved in testing..."

You can test it by applying vac and voltage. See if it allows vac to pass or not.
To see the EGR work, just find a vac line to it,. and suck on it or use a vac pump if available. Use a small mirror under the edge of the diaphram bonnet and look to see if the inner parts move when you apply vac. There are small holes to look thru on the underside of the diaphram housing. That only shows the EGR working, it does not tell you if its sealing the port or not. Its not a big project to pull the plenum off and get to the EGR valve. 20 minutes first time. Pull throttle body screws and pull away, remove the 2 throttle cable mounting bolts, 8 plenum bolts and lift up. First time have a new set of plenum gaskets handy. Wipe "never-seize" on the new gaskets and they will not stick next time and can be re-used in this low or no pressure seal.

Once you find the egr solenoid, moving it to a better more accessable location is a good idea.
I lengthened (<-is that spelled right?, looks funny) the hose, and stuck mine (bolted) on the back of the air pump/alt bracket where I can get to any of the vac line and the solenoid without hassle.

and no, that 3rd fitting is just a vent and does not have a missing hose.:chuckle
Everybody ask...:beer

The EGR solenoid was mounted to the thermostat water neck some yrs. Look there.

Hi Boom, Sorry, it was the way I interpreted your first sentence........Roger.

This is the same issue ive been having, what about the EGR switch on the EGR piping on the passenger side, could this possibly have anything to do with the problem?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom