Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

electric bugaboos as winter projects

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
Looks like I should be getting my Vette back from the shop soon (waiting on parking brake parts, being manufactured for me from unobtanium :) )

Next on my list are repairs to the power mirrors and power windows.

The left-side mirror doesn't work at all, but I think I forgot to connect the harness last time I had the door panel off :eyerole . Right side, though, is odd - it moves up and down, but not left to right. I would suspect a contact in the switch, except that it's the same switch for both sides... Motor?

And the windows are s-l-o-w. I recall hearing about this as a problem with them as they aged, but can't remember if it's motor, regulator, greasing the guides, sacrificing to the gods, whatever.

And the power antenna doesn't retract fully, but does go down easily when I push it manually.

Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks...

slow window

Hi rrubel, I have the same problem with my right side window. It goes real slow. I was hoping somebody would post what to do to fix it. ;help

Right side, though, is odd - it moves up and down, but not left to right. I would suspect a contact in the switch, except that it's the same switch for both sides... Motor?
I could be wrong, but the mirror has a mount on the backside that is connected to a cross shaped thing. The mount may have just snapped off or the cross points which control side-to-side movement may be broken. I'm unaware if this applies to Corvette mirrors or if GM sells this part seperately. --Bullitt

On the antenna... I put a new mast on mine about a month ago. Piece of cake, just pull out the old one (mine was bent at the tippy top) and put the new one in. I ended up pruning about a 1/2" off of the plastic string gear to get mine to retract all the way - it was coming up short by about 2".

misterKTM said:
new one in. I ended up pruning about a 1/2" off of the plastic string gear to get mine to retract all the way - it was coming up short by about 2".

Now THERE'S an idea. Maybe I can trim an inch or so off the bottom of the existing cable.

I've replaced power antennas before; my wife has had no luck with them (abusive bike riders, car washes, road debris). Never had one that didn't retract fully unless the mast was bent, though.

And I'll look into the mirror pieces.

I think between finishing the finishing of my basement and reworking the Vette, I may have my winter about covered...

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom