Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electric fuel pump again

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Lately, the Holley electric pump (blue) mounted below the tank stops and then the engine dies of starvation.

I pull off to the side, let the car sit for a couple of minutes and it starts right up again. This happened to me three times today. With the engine off, I can hear the pump, if it's running.

Is there some overheating or other malfunction shut-off built into the Holley pumps that allows them to recover in a few minutes? ;shrug

If this happens while passing on a two-lane road........... :eek

Bob

I would think every electric motor has an internal thermal overload that once it cools down it will reset, or does it just go on and off for no particular reason. Could just be a poor quaility product last may have a loose wire on the windings

Are you guys in freezing weather yet or dealing with the same warm weather as us.could it be ice in the pump causing it to fail or not pump

Does it feel warm when it shuts off.

Larry,

The weather here is still beautiful. I haven't crawled under to touch it yet, but next time it happens I will.

I've also noticed that it seems to be running slower when I turn it on before firing the engine. The battery is right up.

Filter on the suction side or the positive side of the pump,if on the suction side it just may be time to change it and when the pump is running its pulling the stuff into the filter, straining the pump, pump going off on thermal over load realising the stuff. pump cools down enough to start again and repeat the cycle again.

Let us know

Filter on the suction side or the positive side of the pump,if on the suction side it just may be time to change it and when the pump is running its pulling the stuff into the filter, straining the pump, pump going off on thermal over load realising the stuff. pump cools down enough to start again and repeat the cycle again.

Let us know

I think you've hit on something, Larry.

The filter is on the suction side, just below the tank. I ran out of gas the other day..................not hard to do with 8.2 litres sucking away at it. ;)

I'll bet some crap from the bottom of the tank got in there when the tank emptied. I'll check it on the weekend. Thanks.

:w

2m76sg4.jpg

The Holley pump is not a "forever" street pump, and was never intended to be - it was designed as a race pump that would be rebuilt or replaced occasionally, as opposed to the in-tank electric pumps on modern fuel-injected cars that are expected to last for the life of the car. I've seen enough of the Holley pumps wear out that I carried a spare pump in my Grand Sport in case it took a dump in the middle of nowhere.

:beer

Thanks, John.

I got too involved in "other" matters on the forum today to get under and investigate, but I too carry an extra pump at all times.

I'll post what I find when I get the answer.

Silly me. I mounted the NAPA filter on the outlet side of my Purolator pump - 6 years ago. I just changed the filter last sumer. That brought it up from 0.8 to 1.0 gallons/minute again. The nice thing about electric fuel pumps is that you can check the flow rate at the carb anytime.

There may have been sediment in the fuel filter. It's the Mr. Gasket "take-apart" billet filter #6163G (shown to the right of the fuel pump in the photo).

So, I took it apart and cleaned the filter disc. The screening is so fine that I couldn't see any difference before or after cleaning. A few more days of driving should tell the tale.

Anyway, I'm ordering some replacement filter discs -- Mr. Gasket #6165G.

2m76sg4.jpg

It came home on a flatbed today, after calling CAA.

The pump quit and refused to come back on, even after 1/2 hour of sitting. I know it's getting juice because I can see the draw on the BATT gauge when I turn the ignition key to ON/RUN (with engine off).

When I throw the hidden on-off switch to the pump, and then turn the ignition key to ON/RUN, there's no draw on the gauge.

However, in spite of the evidence of the pump's existence, it just refused to start pumping this time. I guess it's completely dead this time. :eyerole

Sometime this week, I'll install the spare pump I have. Gotta get it roadworthy soon............we going up to 50F on the weekend. ;)

It's always something. :crazy

I wonder if it would be worth putting in 2 of them with one filter and an a 3 way "A" "B" switch for the redundancy of it.
that is a good idea...that is what I would do.....

Hmmmm...wonder if the Holley pump is really of decent quality

any one have any thoughts on whether the MUCH more expensive pumps are any more reliable??

you could ditch the Holley and go with a Carter or Aeromotive; you could
go modern with an in tank pump from rock valley, use a TBI pump and a pressure regulator and a return line, or much better yet while you are at it you could put in EFI I saw a really neet setup looks just like one of those Barry Grant Demons in a Street Rod Mag I'll post the link when I find it.

On the twin pump idea...........

I'm assuming they'd run in series (fuel flowing from the tank to the filter to pump #1 to pump #2)..........correct?

Any negative consequences to the non-operating pump when fuel is being pushed (or pulled) through it?

Bob Me personally would run them parallel with flow check valves,

Terrible you have to do this with a fuel pump, But if the life cycle of this pump is this short (12,000 miles) then this would be a good way to assure no more rides home on the flatbed

Terrible you have to do this with a fuel pump, But if the life cycle of this pump is this short (12,000 miles) then this would be a good way to assure no more rides home on the flatbed

OR......

...just drive to VNV's place, he's used to finding broken midyear's in his driveway:grouphug:

parallel is what I would use too. You only need a check valve on the output side of each pump, or you might be happier putting a 3 way valve in place. Less resistance and probably less troublesome, you will just have to reach under the car and move the valve. just my 2 cents.....but not in series. You count of gravity to feed the pump so when you go to the second one, how are you going to feed the second pump through the first.....you're not. Parallel!

good luck, Herb

...still don't understand the reality of a fuel pump trashing after such a short period of time....oh well

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom