Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical help almost going crazy

R

Ryan

Hello,

I own a '78 and I'm just finishing some interior work. I had a complete frame off resto. But now when I turn my switch to on, my gauges will go to 0. Normally they all do work except for the oil pressure gauge.
I have every wire grounded at where the should be and I have also replaced my light switch and installed a new set of printed circuit.

What could be the problem. Almost going crazy help!!

Ryan

Sorry I can't help .......someone will be along and maybe head you in the right direction. Good luck.

:w Ryan,

I'd suggest getting the wiring diagram or the actual schematic and check all the connection for correct polarity + - connections, also check the "new" switch connections.

Possibly eliminate the switch and jumper the leads straight through, thus eliminating the switch. It sounds like the lights worked prior to the restoration, so it almost has to be connectons or the switch. Check power to the light switch using the ignition in the acc position then check the on position.

Electrical issues are real problems and require lot's of patience, I also recommend writing down the tests as you complete them, you'd be amazed at how lost you can get chasing these gremlins down ;)

Bud

Thanx Bud I'll give it a try. I'm getting the feeling that the polarity or wirecolor may be at the wrong place at the light switch. I'll get back to cac tomorow as it is 22.25 PM here in the Netherlands. First I'll take some sleep.

Ryan

check that your grounds are good. C3's are notorious for bad grounds. since the resto, you most likely have paint between the ground wire and the frame. you can run a large wire (10 gauge or so) between the dash and battery negative for a good ground as a test. DC circuits need both legs to work unlike AC circuits. i bought a Jeep that had a brand new Painless wiring harness installed. everything was great but no grounds. the system was trying to ground throught an 18 gauge wire and nearly started a fire. needless to say the seller could not get it running well with the coil not having a good ground. one 4 gauge wire from the battery to the frame and body and i had a nice running CJ5 at a cut rate price. good luck, electrical sucks at times to troubleshoot.

Possible Cause Offered

Hello,

I own a '78 and I'm just finishing some interior work. I had a complete frame off resto. But now when I turn my switch to on, my gauges will go to 0. Normally they all do work except for the oil pressure gauge.
I have every wire grounded at where the should be and I have also replaced my light switch and installed a new set of printed circuit.

What could be the problem. Almost going crazy help!!

Ryan

It sounds like you have a short circuit in your instrument / gage wiring. The first rule of trouble shooting is to look at or take off all panels / consoles that you recently had off or moved during your interior work. If you had wiring disconnected or replaced old or damaged wiring, double check that the circuits were re-connect correctly.
I spent 12 years in US Navy Aircraft maintenance as an Electrican and most time problems after maintenance service were found in the areas that had been repaired / serviced, especially if no prior problems were noted before the service event.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom