Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical Issue

S

Schmucker

Sorry for making my first post asking for help, but I need it.

Here is the deal. I get the tell tale signs that the alternator took a dive. 0 volts and the idiot light on. I shut off my running lights and the clock on the radio (no music was on anyway) and get home. The alternator is fine and so is the battery though. My power windows don't work and the voltage gauge won't budge, even if checking battery voltage. My tach doesn't work either. The car will start right up without trouble just like before though. I no longer get any warning lights to turn on when I turn the key to that stage. The blower kicks on, but the warning lights do not. Is there something in the voltage guage that when it reads low kills the power windows? Is there a loose ground that caused all this? Or did I just blow a ton of fuses? I have senior pictures on Tuesday and need to get the car good to go by then. One person already suggested that the key ignition switch has failed, any comments on this would be appreciated.

Under the hood,near the heater box is a 6 wire plug,at least on later years,,not sure of the colors,red,purple,yellow?,all heavy wires,check that.where in wi do you live?

I've only had the car for a week now so I'm not too famaliar with it. Where is the heater box? I wish Shop Manuals had an index.
I'm in the Chippewa/Eau Claire area.

ok the heater box is on the passenger side firewall,if there is a plug there it'll be toward the middle of the car,the purple wire goes to the starter solinoid,and one of the red wires goes to the alt,cant tell you where the others go with out looking

The guages are fairly comon to do wacky things on these cars. After time they louse a good ground source. I just had an issue with all the guages going out of wack when I turned the interior lights on.

I hope thats not your problem as it rather a pain to get behind the console.

Or you could just have a bad power connection the window will usually cut out if they down have enough power to runn them. Check and see if the other side goes up slower then usuall, if so your lousing power somewhere.

hope some of that helps, just a shot in the dark

No, I have no window movement whatsoever. No sound as if they are trying or anything. They have no power at all.

God, this does sound like a bad ignition cylinder. What does that turn on? The warning lights, the voltage gauge, and the power windows. Now it also turns on the blower motor and the radio, which still work. Anyone familiar with the key cylinder? It needs to be replaced anyway as you don't need a key to start the car, which I would guess is bad.

Simple things first...

Check the connector at the base of the steering column. There should be a connector from the fuse panel that connects the wiring in the steering column for the ignition, horn, etc.. unplug it and make sure it is making good contact. You can use a pencil eraser to clean the male contacts and a toothpick and a small piece of leather with stereo contact cleaner to clean the female end.

Write down everything you do, so you remember what you've done and provide a document for future use/problems.

Keep it as simple as possible, most times it's a connection or bad ground. Don't start Easter Egg Hunting, stay with a plan and document as you go..

Good Luck. and Welcome aboard and to Shark Ownership :D

BudD
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom