Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical Troubles

I

intex99

Howdy Folks,
Well actually I have 2 problems!
The 1st is my headlights will go down on their own but I can't get them to come up on their own.Would this be the actuators??I just got this 81 and they were stuck in the up position and I was getting vacumn to the canister but not out so put in another canister now just go down.
The 2nd is a dilema!If I turn on turn signals all the lights flash.If I turn on headlights they stop.I looked at wiring and all seems okay but a few bulbs missing around car still.Would this be a relay somewhere that might be messed up?I notice if I turn on the right signal my arrow in dash only lights up right but all blink if I turn on left both arrows light up and still all lights blink.Been working on it all night tonight and can't find any wires spliced or anything but I did pull out a cheap alarm system they had put init but they didn't cut any wires that I see.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tim

Whew!!!

Tim,

You have a mess to unravel. First off.... do you have an assembly/shop manual for the 1981; or the 1980 for that matter? It will be invaluable in tracking down these problems. I couldn't tell you much beyond the obvious without more info. The manual will help tremendously. I'm trying to track a problem with my '81 where the right turn signal flashes inside the instrument cluster, rear taillight but won't flash the right front light. Fun huh?

Post some more info when you can.

.......... Nut

intex99 said:
Howdy Folks,
Well actually I have 2 problems!
The 1st is my headlights will go down on their own but I can't get them to come up on their own.Would this be the actuators??I just got this 81 and they were stuck in the up position and I was getting vacumn to the canister but not out so put in another canister now just go down.
The 2nd is a dilema!If I turn on turn signals all the lights flash.If I turn on headlights they stop.I looked at wiring and all seems okay but a few bulbs missing around car still.Would this be a relay somewhere that might be messed up?I notice if I turn on the right signal my arrow in dash only lights up right but all blink if I turn on left both arrows light up and still all lights blink.Been working on it all night tonight and can't find any wires spliced or anything but I did pull out a cheap alarm system they had put init but they didn't cut any wires that I see.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Tim

On the Lights:

I had a similar problem on my 81. My problem: when I would turn on either turn signal and either hit the brakes or turn on the headlights it would stop blinking and just go out. Turn off the headlights and let off the brake-----worked fine. I finally "chased" my problem to the ground wires on each of the rear taillights(on the end where the "fixture" is and the bulb). They were both loose and not making "good" connection. I fixed that problem and the others went away!?!?!?

I hope this helps (a little)

asby69:J

I had a similar problem. It was the ground wire near the drivers side muffler. My problem was the gas gauge would go to Full when I let off the brake. When I would press the brake the rear lights would alternate back and forth.

Sounds like my '70 MGB I used to have (wish I still had that fun little toy too). I wish mine was a GND problem. Still looking and probing.

............. Nut

Thanks Guys,
Now this is gonna sound stupid but I took out the tail lights and found the wrong bulbs in there so now have flashers and brake lights but no tail lights when the lights are on.Also on the pass front I get lights if the bulb is in right and if you turn the bulb in wrong I can get flasher but not both at same time.If I put a tester onit and ground it on the side post I get headlight and flasher but not with bulb in it.I tried several different bulbs as well and no luck.Well at least can cruise during the day I guess!!Ha Ha!
Any ideas out there????:confused

Do you think it might just be the pass side front plug????If so should be easy enough fix.I will try to get new plug tomorrow and keep yall posted on my progress!
By the way how tough is it to adjust the shift linkage as when I put into reverse the light comes on then by the time it hits reverse they are off!
I just got tons of problems huh!

intex99,

If you need a guide for the correct bulb, check out the L81VetteRegistry Spec pages, we have a section there with the correct bulb for each location ;)

L81 Vette Registry

BudD
:bu

Problem solved

Thanks for all the great help guys!!! I got the light working finally ect for the corning lights but thats another story!
I actually found a few problems the 1st being they had the wrong bulbs in most of the sockets.Once I got those all in order I found they had wired in new sockets in the right front and back but wired them wrong.They would work funny as originally they had the bulbs in reversed(guess because they reversed the wiring).I still need to get a new socket for back as its pretty loose now but have all lights functioning normal.
I question is when I put on turn signal the front side marker blinks with front markers but with lights on 1 goes on the other off and visa versa!Is that they way they are supposed to work??Also when are the corning lights supposed to come on?I have a shop manual but it is vague about them!
Thanks again folks!
Next project getting headlights to go up!

Can't really say about the problem with one light staying on and the other off (when headlights are on), but, as for the cornering lights, they should come on when you turn on that particular side turn signal. Should be just a solid "white" light.

asby69

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom