Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electronic A/C Control

karagoz

Corvette
1988 Red Coupe
My 1988 Corvette's electronic A/C control is malfunctining. The A/C control's lights blink on and off and when they do, I can hear the A/C clutch engage. Also the heater (blower) won't come on. Sometimes it works when I press all the buttons. I replaced the A/C control last May with a remanufactured one and it worked OK until a few weeks ago. Before I tear apart my instrument panel a second time, is there anything under the hood, like a sensor or relay that could make the electronic control malfunction? (My local Chevy dealer says I have a one year warranty on the unit so at least I don't have to spend another $350.)

My problem with the AC control head was a poor connection to the harness. There was a tricky plastic light blue clip that I broke when I removed the head unit. Operation was a little spotty until I wrapped the connector together to the head unit with some copper wire and then covered it all with duct tape. No problems since then - three years ago. Try pressing the connection together somehow and see if it helps. You can then figure out a way to hold it together permanently.

Karagoz, To start with,if your a/c is cycling on/off and the lights blinking then your a/c is low(atleast that's what was wrong with my 91) Do you have the C-68 controller? If so, remove from car,take it apart,and clean the circuit board with some alcohol(carefully). It should work like new!! Good Luck-Doug

A/C control unit works now

Thanks for the input. I fixed my problem by replacing the A/C control unit. Like I said in my first post - I installed a remanufactured unit last spring but it quit working on the last day I drove it before putting it into storage for the winter.

Makes me wonder how reliable these old electronic climate control units are going to be in the years to come. Your Corvette isn't much good if the air and heat aren't working. If you're trying to sell it, no one will want it if they find out the heat and A/C aren't working. Replacing them is a major job and I sure don't want to do it a third time.

I don't know if units you order online or from accessory catalogs come with a warranty. I assumed electronic parts were non-returnable but with $350 at stake I decided to call the Chevy dealer where I bought it and just ask. To my surprise they said if I had the receipt I could get a new one. In my case I was lucky.

If I have time, I will write up a how to article since I've done this twice and submit it to one of the enthusiast magazines. Maybe I can help make someone else's life a little easier!

karagoz

Karagoz,
I have had my controller out and re-soldered & cleaned it, I still have no heater vacuum going to the inline valve for the hot water inlet, I used a tie-wrap keep it closed during the summer (turn off the heat). I had no A/C actually the heat & the A/C were on at the same time!
I think in my case it is the module that controls the vacuum solenoids.

Tom

Karagoz,
I have had my controller out and re-soldered & cleaned it, I still have no heater vacuum going to the inline valve for the hot water inlet, I used a tie-wrap keep it closed during the summer (turn off the heat). I had no A/C actually the heat & the A/C were on at the same time!
I think in my case it is the module that controls the vacuum solenoids.

Tom
Tom, you have my symapthy - Corvettes are hot enough because of all the heat that radiates thru the firewall and transmission tunnel even when the a/c is working! You are correct - in your case it sounds like you have the manual control. I hope that my A/C control problems are over now that I've replaced the controller twice. You can still buy manual control units and they are a lot less expensive than the electronic ones, by the way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom