Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electronic Dash lamps

L

lens86vet

I need to know where I can find the illumination lamps (4 of them) for my electronic dash in my 86 vett. The lamp that is in there is labeled "GE882". It has 2 "legs" about 1/4" long that plug into the socket in the dash. I found replacements but these include the socket as well as the bulb. To use these requires you , I believe, to open up the electronic module and repalace the whole socket assembly. I would rather not mess with opening up the module prefeering to just replace the lamps. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Len

You can remove the new bulbs from the sockets and throw the new sockets away if you wish. Just be careful not to handle the bulbs with your bare hands as the oil from your skin will shorten the life of the bulbs. I've found that using shrink tubing of the appropriate diameter works very well for removing the old bulbs and inserting the new ones.

Just heat it a tad so that it grabs the bulb without being too tight. In a pinch, you can also remove the old bulbs with needlenosed pliers.

The 882 halogen bulbs run so hot the sockets get brittle so they come as a set. Rumor has it you can replace the bulbs with a 162 ??? that are a cheap and easy to find but aren't as bright.
The 882 bulbs are expensive. I bought some years ago and they were like $8 each.

JS

I was advised to use Stanley 7073 xenon bulds as they run cooler. I didn't do it yet and I don't know if they come wth the sockets or not. I was also told that the sockets can be depended on to crumble as you access them so be prepared to replace if needed. Lotsa Luck

The 882 halogen bulbs run so hot the sockets get brittle so they come as a set. Rumor has it you can replace the bulbs with a 162 ??? that are a cheap and easy to find but aren't as bright.
The 882 bulbs are expensive. I bought some years ago and they were like $8 each.

JS

Used the 162, works just fine.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom