Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Elimenating computer

BigTom1957

Corvette
1981 coupe
I want to get rid of my computer or at least not use it for the carb and ignition, this is a 1981, I have changed pistons to raise compression installed a comp cam, and am thinking I want use a holly spread bore. The Qustion is how do I deal with the lock up torque converter if I do not use the computer? I will also be changing the distributer. The compression should be about 9.5 to 1. TIA Tom

I also have hooker side pipes with 02 sensor, Icould have 02 sensor welded in if needed

Tom
In 1981 the limited on board computer did not control the lock up torque convertor nor did it control any transmission functions. As long as you maintain the vacuum as it was originally layed out and keep the wide open throttle switch functional, then the transmission functions won,t be affected

I had to do the same thing to my 81 camaro. They used a th350c lock-up transmission. Just pick up a switch from b&m for converter lock-up. Don't forget to lock and unlock the converter while driving.

More Info

I also would like to know more about removing the computer from my 81 I have real headers dual exhaust no emissions to worry about here. The smog pump was gone when I got the car so were the catalectic converters

I also would like to know more about removing the computer from my 81 I have real headers dual exhaust no emissions to worry about here. The smog pump was gone when I got the car so were the catalectic converters
Do you have 02sensor hooked up in your car? My manual does in fact say that the computer does control the lock up in 1981, And I assume that the 02 sensor would have some feed back that would control the trans lockup, I have hooker side pipes and no 02 sensor bung in them, I am building this car now so I am not able to try and see what happens but I would like to have it sorted out when I finish the car , I also have done some other mods , Higher compression, and a new comp cam, I am thinking about dumping the quadrajet for a holly spread bore but am thinking that to replace the intake might not be worth the money? Any thoughts or recomendations are verey much appreciated TIA BigTom

Yes I did hook the 02 sensor back up. I dont know anything in this area but I will keep checking back to see what people say

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom